January's Ancient Blowout Party!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Jan 30, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Later on, when the coins became smaller, I think there were some weight variations that did not matter as much, (since they became more nominal value). The weights I am more specifically referring to are the earlier, larger issues where the people were expecting ban liang worth of copper. Back then, weight was very important, so keeping track of weights is just as important as dimensions. I have two coins I remember, both around 10g, but one is only 33mm, the other 38. But, based on weight, I believe they were minted around the same timeframe.

Basically the government "stole" copper from the coins until they reached the smaller size. Then, since the weight of the actual coin was so much less than its stated value, the actual weight did not matter much and there was more variation allowable. That is how I read the research.

Btw, I think Scott Semans or Frank Robinson might have Hartill a little cheaper. Either way, its a steal for $50 for any cash coin collector. My only regret is they do not print a hardcover version. I am on my 2nd copy, having worn out the first.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Awesome coins, Gil-galad ...

I really like a few of those coins in your first post!! ... especially that second to last coin from "Emperor Wang Mang" ...

=> man, that's definitely what I'm gonna ask my wife to start calling me!!

:high5:

Draft saved Draft deleted