January's Ancient Blowout Party!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

fausta.jpg

Fausta

magnus-maximus.jpg

Magnus Maximus

china-shenzong-yuanfeng.jpg

China - Song Dynasty - Emperor Shenzong

china-wang-mang-huo-quan-cash.jpg

China - Xin Dynasty - Emperor Wang Mang

judea-marcus-ambibulus.jpg

Roman Provincial Judaea - Marcus Ambibulus

These are my first five coins out of 17 for this month. Some of you guys have already seen them so I'm posting them for you guys here. Again, mostly all low-grade coins.

I just registered here yesterday after being told about it from my friend, Bing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

those symbols on the xin coin are cool, i don't remember seeing that one.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, even I dont own a Magnus Maximus.

5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice coins you got.

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Bing seems to have brought a raft of exiles to Cointalk. Welcome to you all!

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Indeed. Stainless even has been lurking lately but not posting :(

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Without getting into the specifics, I decided to leave another forum and I told some of the gang where I intended to set up camp. Indeed, many have followed over here and I'm glad for it. They are all good Ancient Numismatists, both fledgling and expert. I think I may fall somewhere in between (probably closer to fledgling). So far we have all received hearty welcomes. Thank you for your hospitality.

9. chrsmat71

and

...indeed, thanks very much for the warm welcome!

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks a lot you guys. Now, continuing on with the next five coins!

widows-mite.jpg

Judaea - Alexander Jannaeus - Widow's Mite

valentinian2.jpg

Valentinian II

heraclius.jpg

Byzantine - Heraclius

julia-mamaea.jpg

Julia Mamaea

trebonianus-gallus.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus

7 more coins to go!

11. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Very cool Gil!

12. Bing

You've been busy during the first month of the year!

13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Here is the next five coins, then I will make another post with the last two coins.

Yes, Bing, real busy this month. Next month is going to be rather lean in purchasing coins though. :(

theodora.jpg

Theodora

wu-zhu.jpg

China - Western Han Dynasty - Wu Zhu Cash Coin

tang-kai-yuan-tong-bao.jpg

China - Tang Dynasty - Kai Yuan Tong Bao (The Inaugural Currency) cash coin

western-han-cash.jpg

China - Western Han Dynasty - Ban Liang cash

herod-agrippa-1-hendin-553.jpg

Judaea - Herod Agrippa I - AE Prutah

14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

valerian-1-ric-128-c.jpg

Valerian I

claudius-gothicus-ric-197.jpg

Claudius II Gothicus

And that's all folks!! Thanks for viewing and commenting, I really appreciate it!

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice valerian & theodora, I still need her too.

16. chrsmat71

me to mat, don't have either myself....really like that judean coin also. nice coins GG! :yes:

17. Bing

The last two are my favorites

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What size is the ban liang? Size matters. :)

To be serious, these were made very similarly over a long period. The major differentiation for them is size and weight. I have probably 200 of the ones about 18mm, but luckily I bought a few groups of the early, larger ones when I had the chance. I believe my largest is around 42mm, with most being between 30-38mm.

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Oh yeah, I know those Ban Liang coins were minted for a long time. During the Zhou period, through the Qin and then Western Han Dynasty. Based on what I was reading online, because I don't have any books I figured out the attribution for this coin, here is a copy and paste from my photo gallery.

Western Han Ban Liang Cash Coin 半兩 - 2nd - 1st century BC

OBV: 半兩 Ban Liang

REV: Blank

REF: None at present.

Chinese coins during this period are difficult to attribute to any particular time. Ban Liang coins are also a generic coinage that was issued for a few hundred years. Starting as large and heavy coins, they diminished in weight and diameter. This particular coin could be the later period of the Ban Liang coins. This coin has no rims and has a diameter of 24mm which is consistent with the later period coins. Going by weight doesn't help when attributing these coins as the weight is variable even amongst coins with the same diameter.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say weight does matter. I am not an expert in them, but some were intentionally large but thinner, others thicker. Since Ban Liang literally means "half ounce", (approximately), weight was very much intricate in the coinage.

As a beginning to Cash coins, I would highly recommend Hartill. Best English language reference for chinese cash.

21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I've heard of the book by Hartil. But unfortunately, I very seldom have enough money to get a book. That book "Cast Chinese Coins" by David Hartil costs $49 on Amazon and probably about average everywhere I'd image. Might be able to find a cheaper copy somewhere, maybe. Right now I'm focusing on my Roman Imperial ruler set for the most part.

I forgot to mention the size and weight of the coin which is 24mm, 2.7g. I will keep that in mind what you said. What I read from a few sources was that several hoards were found. Coins from several hoards, the diameter was about the same but the weights were all different. In fact, for the coins they had, the weight of my coin was different than their coins at the same diameter size.

Draft saved Draft deleted