January 28th: the OPTIMUS PRINCEPS.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Museum of Art History in Vienna, Austria.

The reign of the Roman emperor Trajan, from 98 to 117 AD, brought Roman territorial expansion to its peak and left the memory of a period of peace, prosperity, administrative stability. Trajan was long considered the model of the perfect emperor. The first emperor to have been born outside Italy, Trajan came from southern Spain. His nomination by the generals was a bold and important move, signaling that educated and wealthy men from all over the empire were eligible for the highest office.
    He conquered Dacia (now part of Romania), which provided land for Roman settlers and a rich harvest of gold and salt. He then attacked the Parthians, Rome's old enemy in the east, who lived in what is now part of Iran. By 115 AD he had captured the Parthian capital of Ctesiphon and reached the Persian Gulf.

A few of his achievements:
    Trajan's Column (Latin: Columna Traiani) is a Roman triumphal column located on Trajan's Forum in Rome. It is 130 feet high. It is famous for the bas-relief which spirals around its shaft and commemorates the victory of Emperor Trajan over the Dacians.

6ED25248-E4CA-4D9A-9718-57995A1D39BA.jpeg

The Via Traiana is a Roman road built under Emperor Trajan, to whom it owes its name, offering a more pleasant coastal alternative to the Via Appia up to Brundisium.

604329E5-D693-4DFA-9A28-3456DD5FE847.jpeg

Trajan is one of the emperors who minted the most coins. One of the reasons for this is the devaluation of 107 AD. At that time, it decreases the silver purity of the denarius which allows it to issue significantly more coins. During his reign, almost 200 workshops were minting coins in the provinces. Since he was a warrior first and foremost and the greater part of his coinage will portray military themes and honor the favored gods of war. It will also become evident that This Emperor's coins set records for the longest legends around the rim of each coin.

On the day he became Emperor, please show us your Trajan's coins !

Trajan
    denarius
    Trajan's column
    OPTIMO PRINCIPI
    EB11FC18-3CBF-4BF9-8C68-D267E68ECE0B.jpeg

Trajan Sestertius (worn but my biggest with 34mm 25.80g)
    IMP CAES NERVA TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS VPP :depressed:
    SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI SC
    90A567C7-2BA4-44E3-8F7D-BD57425A1BCD.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, great photos, and great coins!

Since you mention the Via Traiana, here's this one commemorating its construction:

[​IMG]
    Trajan, AD 98-117.
    Roman AR Denarius, 3.39 g, 18.4 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 112-117 (likely AD 113).
    Obv: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, laureate bust, right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, woman (Via Traiana) reclining left on rocks, holding wheel in right hand and branch in left hand; in exergue, VIA TRAIANA.
    Refs: RIC 266; BMCRE 487-91; RSC/Cohen 468; Strack 179a; RCV 3173; UCR 582; Woytek (MIR) 3983b.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thanks for the recap, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ... nice coins!

upload_2021-1-27_20-7-6.png
    RI Trajan AR Den Rome CE 112-114. IMP TRAIANO COS VI P P l SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, Trajan on horseback RIC 291

upload_2021-1-27_20-7-55.png
    RI Trajan AR Denarius 98-117 CE 3 Standards

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, he was a soldier and has wonderful military types but he was dutiful enough as a son to honor his late birth father on a reverse type.
    DIVVS PATER TRAIAN
    rc1707fd1523.jpg

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Great write-up. I would love a coin with Trajan's column, but I have yet to see a nice one that I can afford.

Most of my Trajans, for some reason, are Provincials -- but no Alexandrians, oddly enough. Here are four:

Trajan AR Tetradrachm, 100 AD, Phoenicia, Tyre, Melqart on reverse:

version 1 Trajan-Melqart Tyre, Phoenicia 100 AD jpg version.jpg

Trajan AR Denarius, 106 AD, Severely emaciated captive Dacian in mourning on reverse:

Trajan-Dacian in mourning jpg version.jpg
    Trajan AR Tetradrachm, 112 AD, Seleucis & Pieria, Antioch Mint, Tyche of Antioch with Orontes on reverse:

Trajan-Tyche, Seleucis & Pieria, Antioch, tetradrachm, jpg version.jpg

Trajan AR Drachm, 115-Feb. 116 AD [before granting of Parthia title], Arabia Bostra (or Rome), camel on reverse:

Trajan - Drachm, Arabia Bostra, Camel reverse - jpg version.jpg

8. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here are four sestertii and a dupondius of one of the greatest emperors commemorating Ceres and the grain supply to Italy, his victory against the Dacians, ,and addressing his troops...

3Bj698Sr9DkQwq7JGye5dL4H4gP2y6.jpg 8t2ReNM5Ya68c9zE7XwaNix2o4TyXF.jpg bm4T7Nw8Y6CeZd2PK7wjrZx9o5G56M.jpg m48404.jpg Yy4zM9EoSn2bCZc65rKG3Bz7X3ibRH.jpg

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I guess Trajan has to be one of my favorite emperors. Most of his coins are really spectacular. I have only about 300 Roman coins and 21 of them are of Trajan. This is my latest
    Trajan Av Aureus 108-110 AD Obv Head right laureate draped and cuirassed seen from back Rv. Ceres standing left. RIC 109 Woytek 291 f 7.33 grms 20mm Photo by W. Hansen trajanaur6.jpg I bought this aureus from the NAC auction last October that featured a spectacular assemblage of Roman Imperial aurei. I just loved the style and the composition o the portrait. The portrait of emperors seen from the back was a staple in the lexicon of imagery in the third century AD It is so interesting to see how this image was handled in the second.

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have a single Trajan sesty which I saved from the brink of extinction!
    8B55D313-8513-451E-A378-6707AEC0ECA9.jpg
    513C7EDB-4A54-42C5-8A34-F2A543DA8EE0.jpg

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

temp.jpg
    Bronze (Orichalcum) Dupondius
    Rome mint, A.D. 103-111
    Obv: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P
    Rev: SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI - Fortuna standing, facing left, holding cornucopia and resting rudder on prow of ship, between S and C
    RIC 402
    29mm, 8.6g.

12. Alegandron

TRAJAN AEs

[​IMG]
    RI Trajan Egypt AE Dichalkon Laureate hd L Rhinoceros walking L LI-Z yr 17 CE 113-114 12.9mm 1.25g Emmet 719 var. rhino
    EX: SteveX6 collection

[​IMG]
    RI AE As Trajan CE 98-117 26mm 11.0g Rome Laureate Draped - SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS Victory R wreath palm S-C RIC 675

13. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Great examples. I have only one interesting enough to warrant an inclusion. I do have a couple of specimens depicting the Trajan’s column, but they are quite low grade.

Roman Empire: Trajan (27 Jan, 98 AD-8 Aug, 117 AD) AR Denarius. Rome mint, 112-114 AD, RIC 291, RSC 497a, BMC 445, Sear 3166 (3.26 g, 20 mm)

The reverse of this type likely depicts the Equus Traiani, a colossal equestrian statue of Trajan that once stood in the center of the plaza of Trajan’s Forum, and is now lost to history.

Although other coin types show Trajan on horseback, those dating to his sixth consulship (112 AD), the year in which the forum was dedicated, would seem to commemorate the statue, which was likely modelled after Equus Domitiani, which stood in the Forum Romanum. Equus Traiani, in turn, probably influenced the design of the surviving bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius.

9EFEFCF2-FBAC-40B8-86C7-548F41265BE2.png
    (Image credit: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wik...Marci_Aurelii_Antonini.PNG#mw-jump-to-license)

Obverse: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS VI PP. Laureate bust right, drapery on left shoulder

Reverse: S.P.Q.R. OPTIMO PRINCIPI. Equus Traiani, depicting Trajan on horseback left carrying spear in the right hand and small victory in the left
    30FF8316-CCE8-4DB3-BD4A-8CC3B272E28F.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up and the pics Oca

Wise decision of Nerva to appoint Trajanus as his successor

P1180874.JPG

P1150077.JPG P1230287.JPG Trajanus Victory (2).jpg Trajanus Abundantia (2).JPG

15. Alegandron

TRAIANUS

[​IMG]
    Arabia Petraea, Bostra.
    Trajan. CE 98-117.
    AR drachm (18.57 mm, 2.92 g, 8 h).
    Struck CE 112.
    AYTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANω APICTω CЄB ΓЄPM ΔAK, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind /
    ΔHMAPX EΞ UPATO ς, (ς = "six times consul" = A.D. 112) Camel walking left.
    SNG ANS 1158; SNG von Aulock 6408; Sydenham, Caesarea 205.
    Ex Harlan J. Berk
    Ex: Agora

AYTOKP KAIC NЄP TPAINω APICTω CЄB ΓЄPM ΔAK
    AUTOCRAIS NER TRAIANW ARISTW SEB GERM DAC

ΔHMAPX ЄΞ YΠATO ς (= "six times consul" = A.D. 112)
    DHMARCE XUPATOS

[​IMG]
    RI Trajan AR Denarius 98-117 CE Trophy over Dacian Captive RIC II 222

16. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Trajan (or the spelling in my language, Traian) is a central figure in the history of my country. As everybody knows, he conquered Dacia, or a big part of it, after the Dacian Wars. He is considered the founder of our nation.
    He is even present in folk customs, there is an ancient tradition that in the New Year's Eve, groups of children (or in some parts of the country, mature people) perform something that is translated as "the little plow" - they go to neighbors' houses and say a poem about winter and agriculture. In some versions, Traian is the main character.

When I started collecting ancient coins, Traian coins were a must. And it will remain a main goal for my collection. I intend to buy some large bronzes and, especially, coins related to the Dacian conquest.

My Traian/Trajan coins:

upload_2021-1-28_16-42-18.png

Lydia. Thyateira. Trajan AD 98-117.
    Bronze Æ 18 mm., 3,91 g. - RPC 1826

upload_2021-1-28_16-43-33.png

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome
    Denarius AR 19 mm., 2,68 g. RIC 262
    upload_2021-1-28_16-47-28.png

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome
    Quadrans Æ 114-117 20 mm., 3,01 g. RIC 693

upload_2021-1-28_16-48-57.png

Seleucis and Pieria. Seleuceia Pieria. Trajan AD 98-117.
    Bronze Æ 24 mm., 12,21 g. RPC 3775

17. Terence Cheesman

In my post above I mentioned that I had 21 coins of Trajan. I forgot I also have 3 "Provincials" bringing the total to 24. Trajan Ar Tetradrachm Antioch (Though I think this coin was actually minted at Rome for circulation in the east) 103-111 AD Obv Head right laureate set on eagle. Rv Head of Melkart-Hercules right with lion skin tied around neck. Mc Alee 455A RPC 3529 15.03 grms 25 mm Photo by W. Hansen anttrajan2.jpg

18. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Wow that's a whole lot of Trajan! Though it's not hard to see why anyone would have so many....certainly, he produced some of the most beautiful coins of all the emperors. My grand total for Trajan currently stands at 1 (excluding a ratty denarius I purchased when I was 11 or 12)! At the moment, I just have an aureus, which I believe is the same type as yours. As it is en route, I will refrain from posting it in this thread until I have my own photograph!

19. svessien

svessien Senior Member

20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

One more denarius, purchased close to 15 years ago (before I actively collected ancient coins), that I didn't post before because I hadn't merged the two separate images. An interesting hatchet face on Fortuna:

Trajan AR Denarius, 112 AD or later, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped bust right, IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GERM DAC/ Rev. Fortuna seated left on throne with rudder & cornucopiae, P M TR P COS VI P P SPQR (FORT • RED in exergue). RIC II 318, RSC II 154, BMCRE 578, Sear RCV (1981 ed.) 884 (ill.) [not in Millennium Edition]. 18.9 mm., 3.11 g.

COMBINED Trajan - Fortuna.jpg

Plus I can't resist posting this photo again -- not my coin, but I saved the photo because of how spectacularly pre-human Trajan looks:

Bad Trajan portrait -Syria.jpg

21. Terence Cheesman

On of his celebrating the conquest of Dacia. Trajan Ar Denarius Rome 108-109 AD Obv Bust right laureate aegis on far shoulder. Rv. Dacian seated left in attitude of mourning on pile of arms. (This got to be more uncomfortable than the throne in the Red Keep);)RIC 98 var Woytek 283e At the time of purchase the image with the aegis was unknown. It is still somewhat scarce. trajand37.jpeg In term of commemoration the Dacian campaign and its incorporation into the empire is one of the more important threads in his coinage though few are as explicitly referenced as this coin is.

Draft saved Draft deleted