JAMES 11 1685-1688--SHORT REIGN

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wyvern, Sep 28, 2014.

1. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

all coins of james 11 are scarce-a short reign--here is a Maundy four pence

Attached Files:

Siberian Man, jj00, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A marvelous coin! James II's history is a fascinating read, particularly because it was revised so radically over the last century.

4. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

John, respectfully, you may want to reconsider any positive feelings about James II. No only was he incompetent, he was more than a little evil.

Thankfully, even his daughter and son-in-law (see my medal below) decided that the Kingdoms would be better without him.

1689MSo.jpg

We are lucky that his daughters (Queen Mary and later Queen Anne) were tolerant and enlightened enough to allow a constitutional parliamentary monarchy to replace an autocratic and arbitrary sovereign.

May the Stuart sisters be long remembered for their courage and foresight. May James II be forever damnatio memoriae.

guy

[I appreciate any English / later British coinage from the Glorious revolution (1688) to the American revolution (1776).]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    chrsmat71 likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

To me he was James VII - of Scotland.

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Great coin and great medal!

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't have any positive feelings about him. I just find the recent historiography interesting. There is never only one way to interpret the past.

8. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

after the Monmouth rebellion james 11 sent judge jeffreys to the town where I live.312 men were tried 74 executed the rest sent to the west indies or Virginia for ten years but were pardoned in 1691-----but that is history

Draft saved Draft deleted