Jade cowrie of ancient China

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Jade cowries of ancient China

One of the earliest Proto- money used during the Shang through to the Zhou Dynasties of ancient China. The earliest types were actual cowrie shells but eventually other materials such as bronze, stone and Jade variants were created. This specimen is Jade and carries a nice green hue and other trace deposits after 2000 years.

Cowrie shells form the most primitive form of Chinese currency used. With the coming of the bronze age, imitative versions of cowries made from other materials became accepted as form of currencies until the advent of a currency standard. In fact the Chinese term for precious Bei 贝 was actually derived from the pictogram of a cowrie with the shell and centre grooves.

20161112_232952.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

What a great Cowrie! Very nice!

I have a few that are clay, bone, and bronze. Also, Just ordered a cluster of them in a variety from bone to jade to bronze. Can't wait to get them from Zhongguo.

I regret I cannot post them now.

TypeCoin971793 and Loong Siew like this.
  4. Loong Siew

Thanks.. have fun with your order. The only cowrie I have is a jade one. Maybe sometime in the future I may lookout for some nice ones of other materials...

5. Alegandron

It is fun to have them in a variety of materials. Ancient Romans had cool Aes Formatum in cockle style shells (and other shapes), but all in bronze. The Ancient Chinese used several other materials beyond bronze, which is pretty cool.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

If it was the cluster I was thinking about, then you got it before I had a chance to save up the money for it.

Alegandron and Loong Siew like this.
  7. Alegandron

Some Cowries that I have:

China Zhou -Chou- 1000-200 BCE Dynasty Bronze cowrie - VF - Rare.jpg
    China Zhou -Chou- 1000-200 BCE Dynasty Bronze cowrie - VF - Rare

China Cowrie Shell Pottery.jpg
    China Cowrie Shell Pottery

China ANCIENT Cowrie - BONE 2 holes for clothing or funeral bier 20mm Hartill 1-2v Coole 51-66.JPG
    China Cowrie Shell Pottery

8. Loong Siew

Alegandron likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I need to get a jade cowrie sometime. Yours is very pretty.

Here is my plethora of cowries and imitations (among other things).

IMG_5800.JPG

10. Loong Siew

Thank you.. as Chinese, Jade is very precious and suspicious. The greener the better.. It has accumulate much after these 2 thousand years..

Your plethora is pretty impressive as well. I only have this jade piece..

Draft saved Draft deleted