J.C. and Anthony's Military Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I've been after a 'nice' portrait of Julius Caesar for a while now, but the cost always seemed just beyond my reach...and then I stumbled upon this posthumous issue. After some light 'research' I decided to go after it, the historical context and the numismatic significance easily winning me over despite some obvious 'flaws'. While I had hoped to win it at a 'bargain' price, two late challenges raised the cost to about average or high retail, yet I'm still thrilled to have been the successful bidder.

This denarius is a bit worn and perhaps weakly struck, but of good silver and each portrait is easily recognizable in the traditional style most of us expect; that of Anthony an up-grade from my worn quinarius and the reverse my first of the 'gaunt' JC. The legends are legible but the DICT on the reverse is largely invisible and the capis/jug appears more as a blob than anything else. Unless I am in error, it appears that this issue was struck on two separate occasions during the Spring and Fall of 43 BC----my example the later emission----and each series was the first of a living Roman associated with a bust of Julius Caesar. Of course, Octavian/Augustus would continue this format in the coming years. And it seems both types were minted just after the famous battle of Mutina (see link below).The following sales excerpt is from a CNG/ROMA auction listing and further describes the significance of this denarius:

"Following the assassination of Julius Caesar, it was unclear who would inherit his legacy. The two primary contenders were Mark Antony and Octavian. Both issued a variety of coinages that propagandized their link to the slain dictator. In particular, Octavian, through his familial link, was able to associate the name CAESAR with his own portrait. Lacking a direct link of this nature, Antony often appeared with the symbols of the various offices he held which had been held by Caesar, such as the augurate. Perhaps Antony's most cunning propaganda, however, is the coinage he struck bearing both his portrait and that of Caesar. The first of these was struck while Antony was in Gaul following his defeat at Mutina in 43 BC, and was the first type struck by Antony's military mint. After the War of Mutina, Antony and Lepidus entered into an autocratic pact with Octavian, the Second Triumvirate. Antony struck these coins in this new atmosphere of cooperation to emphasize and remind the people of his former station as Caesar's right hand man - a shrewd publicity tactic at once connecting himself to the memory of the people's beloved dictator and subtly suggesting himself superior to his colleagues in prestige."

My coin is from the second series of this type, and was struck following the settlement in November 43 BC between Antony, Octavian, and Lepidus, in which the Second Triumvirate was formed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mutina

As always, please feel free to pile on:)

Mark Antony & Julius Caesar. 43 B.C. AR denarius (17 mm, 3.44 g, 5 h). Mint traveling with Antony in Cisalpine Gaul. CAESAR [DIC], bare head of Julius Caesar right; behind, capis / M A[NT(Conjoined letters)]O IMP R P C (= ReiPublicae Constituendae---Regulation of the Republic), bare head of Marc Antony right; behind, lituus. Crawford 488/1; HCRI 118; Sydenham 1165; RSC 2. Lightly toned. Good metal. Nearly very fine.

jc ma military mint.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Still, a great coin to collect. Congratulations.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Awesome! Two desirable portraits on one coin it doesn't get much better.

gregarious and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin Mikey Zee, and historical insight into the coin, I am sure most would be happy with it in their collection.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome denarius Mikey! Two very desirable portraits for the price of one. Well done!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice addition Mikey. I'd add it, for sure wouldn't say no

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Outstanding selection MZ!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done @Mikey Zee !!! Very nice catch! I don't have this version...

How about an Antony / Octavian? LOL, looks like Antony was getting around!

upload_2017-7-3_20-30-7.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528/2a Sear 1507

10. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

very kool coin, two icons for the price of..?? nice no matter what!

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool historical type, Mikey. Nice catch.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Congrats Mikey on your new coin marking the formation of the 2nd Triumvirate! A very historically significant coin! The issue was produced at different times with yours being the later with RPC (the precursor to the official title of III VIR RPC). A great coin. Here are mine.

Marc Antony Denarius Caesar Rev Stacks 2011.jpg

Marc Antony Denarius Caesar Rev 488-2 NAC 2015.jpg

13. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Alegandron, this is an under appreciated issue of Antony that you have - 528/2a. I just picked up mine last month. It's quite a bit scarcer than people realize in my experience. You rarely see them in old auction catalogues.

Marc Antony & Octavian 528-2a NAC 2017.jpg

14. Alegandron

Thank you @Carthago . I acquired this from a friend of mine after you and I met in Chicago. I shot a quick, but rotten photo, however it is a great coin.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Thanks everyone!! Love the posts!! Terrific MA/AUG @Alegandron !!

Naturally, I'm envious of @Carthago's gorgeous coins:hungry: WOW!!

Carthago and Alegandron like this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Very good coin @Mikey Zee and wonderful writeup

I can contribute here

[​IMG]
    Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, Denarius Denarius minted in 43 BC
    M ANTO IMP RPC, Head of Mark Antony right, lituus behind him
    CAESAR DIC, Head of Caesar right, jug behind him
    3.76 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 123, RCV #1465, Cohen #3

[​IMG]
    Lepidus and Octavian, Denarius Denarius minted in Italy, 42 BC
    LEPIDVS PONT MAX III V R P C, bare head of Lepidus right (NT and MA in monograms)
    C CAESAR IMPIII VIR R P C, bare head of Octavian right (MP in monogram)
    3.78 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 140, RCV # 1523, Cohen # 2

The following from Forvm catalog :
    "Lepidus was a faithful follower of Julius Caesar, and he served as Praetor and Consul. When Caesar was assassinated, Lepidus was in charge of the cavalry and commanded a legion. This position secured him a place in the Second Triumvirate along Marc Antony and Octavian. His cut was Africa. When Octavian attacked Sextus Pompey's Sicily, Lepidus' ships and troops supported him. In an uninspired move, Lepidus thought he could force Octavian to leave him the island. The two armies separated and isolated skirmishes occurred, but soon the soldiers sick of yet another civil war, acknowledging Octavian's superiority deserted Lepidus en-masse. Lepidus left the island as a simple civilian, retaining only his priesthood, but he was the only defeated Imperator not to suffer a violent death."

[​IMG]
    Mark Antony and Octavian, Denarius Denarius minted in Asia minor c.41 BC
    M ANT IMP AVG III RPCM BARBAT QP, Bare head of Mark Antony right
    CAESAR IMP PONT III VIR RPC, Bare head of Octavian right
    3.62 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 243, RCV #1504, Cohen #8

[​IMG]
    Mark Antony and Lucius Antonius, Denarius Denarius minted in Ephesus in 41 BC
    M ANT IMP AVG III VIR RPCM NERVA PROQ P, Bare head of Mark Antony right
    L ANTONIUS COS, Bare head of Lucius Antonius right
    3.58 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 246, RCV #1509, Cohen #2
    Following description taken from NAC auction 40, #617, about an other example of the same coin :
    "This denarius, depicting the bare heads of Marc Antony and his youngest brother Lucius Antony, is a rare dual-portrait issue of the Imperatorial period. The family resemblance is uncanny, and one wonders if they truly looked this much alike, or if it is another case of portrait fusion, much like we observe with the dual-portrait billon tetradrachms of Antioch on which the face of the Egyptian queen Cleopatra VII takes on the square dimensions of Marc Antony. When Antony fled Rome to separate himself from Octavian and to take up his governorship in Gaul, Lucius went with him, and suffered equally from the siege of Mutina. This coin, however, was struck in a later period, when Lucius had for a second time taken up arms against Octavian in the west. Marc Antony was already in the east, and that is the region from which this coinage emanates. Since Lucius lost the ‘Perusine War’ he waged against Octavian, and was subsequently appointed to an office in Spain, where he died, it is likely that he never even saw one of his portrait coins."

Q

17. Mikey Zee

Superb @Cucumbor !!!

Perhaps before I'm done, I'll own a Lepidus and a Lucius denarius too:hungry:

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool! Thats a great addition Mikey

Mikey Zee likes this.
  19. Alegandron

WOW @Carthago and @Cucumbor . Just WOW. That is another side collection I may have to consider. It is at the end of the Republic, so it is in my scope of collecting. You two have some fantastic wonderful pieces! Congrats. I REALLY like them!

Mikey Zee, Cucumbor and Carthago like this.
  20. Alegandron

Here is another Imperator"ess" with a Partner Imperator on the reverse befitting to her personality...

upload_2017-7-4_19-26-0.png
    RImp Marc Antony 43 BCE AR Quinarius 13mm 1.67g Lugdunum Winged bust Victory-probly Fulvia - Lion DVNI LVGV Cr 489-5 Syd 1160

Cool little story on her in Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulvia

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i really wish i had something to pile on here. :(

that's a fantastic new coin MZ, one i'd love to have in my collection.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted