I've got $2.38 in Canadian coins BUT I'm not in Canada

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rte, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Some of the Canadian coins I have are silver. I have an album strictly for foreign coins and keep them all, you never know. I'll let me heirs figure it out...

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I occasionally get a few Canadian coins in Idaho! I will eventually go to Canada and spend them.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I still have some canadian dollars some people/places will accept them as payment.

5. capthank

I bought a Canadian collection with some nice coins. Sold the ones with silver content. Now started a penny book with others that I kept.

6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

My weirdest find was a 1939 Canadian Commemorative silver dollar. I still scratch my head trying to figure out how it got to my neighborhood soccer field.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Donate them to the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts to encourage numismatics.
    I get them all of the time in Montana and can spend them the same as US coins, so not a problem here.

Numiser likes this.
  8. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I have helped my friend with his scouts for that purpose.

capthank likes this.
  9. capthank

Every chance I get I like to give both coins and stamps to area scout troops.

10. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Do you think it’s because Michigan is close to the Canadian border?

11. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm in Florida now and we also get a lot of Canadians coming down for the winter, but you don't see much of the Canadian coins here. Stores will not take them.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Here in Minnesota, neighbor to Canada, one would think Canadian coins would pass at face...nope. The bank rejects them when my "piggy bank" gets emptied. Strangely, the United States Post Office in Moorhead accepts them without any argument. Try it in your locality, @rte.

Steve

rte and Railguy like this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I always give foreign coins to any of my friends who have kids who are interested in coins. To a 8 to 10 year old just starting out interested in coins, they love them. I did so as well at that age. I got my first coins from my mother who worked in San Francisco on Fisherman's Wharf at the Buena Vista in the 70's. She used to get them in her tips and since she really couldn't spend them on anything, she'd give them to me. I loved foreign coins at that age and held onto them for years.

Stevearino and capthank like this.
  14. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep all Canadian change as well and ship it off with my brother in law and sister on their trips to see his mother in Toronto. Usually is enough for a cup of coffee....lol.

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I suppose if my local post office doesn't accept it, I could give it to the guy or gal panhandling outside of the post office.:p

16. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I keep them in a cookie jar with about 1,000 other foreign coins. Sometimes I'll give a few out to my nieces and nephews.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted