I've Decided to Pull the Trigger...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BUncirculated, Nov 25, 2013.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

on a GSA, NGC graded 1884CC Morgan.

One of my main dealers I do business with, and long time friend, made a multy GSA submission to NGC a couple years ago, and has had 18 GSA with NGC labels on the holders in his inventory.

He recently dropped his prices on a few of them, one is an MS64 1884CC, that has been selling from $275-$300 on eBay, and he's asking $245 for this one.

This will be the only holdered coin in my collection that will remain in the holder.

I'll be getting it next week sometime and will post some pics.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have moderated on slabs myself. For modern stuff, (post 1700), if I get a coin in a slab I just leave it nowadays. Maybe its spending so much time in ancients, that even non-slabbed moderns aren't really "speaking to me", so if the coin comes in a tomb, I just leave it. Or maybe I am just getting lazy with the bandsaw.

Especially on something copied as much as CC's, I don't blame you man. I haev always said I would never cut open something like a 1916d dime, since for coins like that slabbing is very much a plus.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Medoraman
    Not really a slab, but a GSA holder, graded.

5. BUncirculated

NGC grades the Morgans and leaves them in the GSA holders. They place the label on the bottom of the holder.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

And leave it in the holder (I note that you said you would).
    Original GSA holders seem to add a premium to a Morgan's value.

7. BUncirculated

Well here she is. I saw this one and liked it better than the 64 so I went with it. As mentioned, $215.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

Nice, what's the black stuff on the reverse or is that a hole?

9. BUncirculated

If you're referring to the black stuff along the rim at 6 & 10 o'clock, that's the edge of the holder.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Nice coin BU. Be careful. You've now entered the dark side and you can't have just one GSA!

[​IMG]

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

13. BUncirculated

Working on getting a close up of the mint mark; as the first C has some doubling, which I'm sure is probably MD, to post.

14. BUncirculated

The top image is the mint mark on my coin, the bottom image is from VAMworld.com that shows the doubled first C and is listed as C3b on the VAM list

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.vamworld.com/1884-CC+Reverses

Same location as the doubling on mine, but mine isn't as wide as the VAMworld.com photo.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

Nice. I was buying lots of Morgans when I was a rookie and switched to world coins soon after, and suddenly have flipped back to considering Morgan dollars. If there is one American coin type missing from my collection that I have wanted since the very beginning, it is a CC Morgan. $215 for an MS63 is a good price. I do find those large GSA holders a bit clunky, though.

16. BUncirculated

They are a bit large to say the least; however, I like the look of them.

The Morgan series is one of my favorites to research. After reading Bower's Book of Morgans, and learning the history of this series, it makes all that more inviting to collect Morgans.

This may be the only GSA certified Morgan in my collection, I mainly purchased it just to say yes, I have on of those.

But I may consider more in the future possibly.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Here are my two of my better date GSA coins:

81cc.jpg 81ccrev.jpg 85cc rev.jpg 85cc.jpg

BUncirculated likes this.
  18. BUncirculated

Last night I spent a little over an hour looking at the VAM list for this date and mint on VAMworld.com.

This coin has a lot of the characteristics of the VAM 6, the doubling of the first C in the mint mark, on the inside left edge, the die gouge lines off of the tail, including a small die gouge mark off of one tail feather, a die gouge dot at the 9th feather edge at the bottom of the left wing, and the double 18 in the date, which has a slight doubling along the right edge of the 1, and the outside right of the lower hoop, and top right outside of the upper loop in the first 8.

Draft saved Draft deleted