It's worth a lot to me but, what is a realistic number on the value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Myka Gilliam, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Very busy on other forums. However, I have photos for a big batch of new quizzes coming to a thread near you. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Myka Gilliam

Myka Gilliam Newbie hobbyist, just trying to gain knowledge

Hey everyone. I know that there's no way I would get 1500 for it, I was just saying that to show how crazy hard it is to get an accurate "roundabout value" on coins from a Google search since the internet is saturated with basic coins listed for ridiculous amounts. I asked because I was going to be listing my whole coin collection for sale on ebay. I'm turning into quite a hoarder it seems and I'm trying to just get rid of everything and start over. I'll never be able to get my coins graded so as of today, I'm starting to list all of them on ebay. Each one will be auctioned, and all of them will have a starting bid of .99 except this one, its 4.99 bc I do love this coin and maybe it won't sell and I'll have an excuse to keep it lol. But, if interested I'll be listing all of them today. I accept offers as well. Basically, you can get some good coins for cheap as hell. Just don't tell me what you end up making off them later

masterswimmer and Kentucky like this.
  4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You will be fine. Don't make a quick emotional judgement. Hold on to everything, for now, there is no reason to rush to sell. More than likely you will regret doing that, as most collectors have at one time or another.
    There is not one damn thing wrong with hoarding. I defy any collector or member here to state he/she has not, because that would be 5 Pinocchios.

I say keep EVERYTHING.

Truth in editing: dropped one of these "f", and replaced with one of these "r".
    It happens.

5. Myka Gilliam

Myka Gilliam Newbie hobbyist, just trying to gain knowledge

I've debated this decision for a long time. I have 2 coins I'll never part ways with, they're worth face value but the sentimental attachment I have to them is worth millions. I've decided that, the rest of my coins, deserve to be in the hands of someone with more knowledge and love for them. I love coins. US coins, world, ancient, all of them. But they aren't being cared for properly and if I don't sell them while I can, the value will decrease because the condition will deteriorate. I don't have proper storing for them. I try to keep them separate and covered but not all are. It's just time. And maybe if someone gets one and sells it for hundreds of thousands of dollars they might send me 20 bucks, but even if not, I know they will be enjoyed more with someone else

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You should keep them for now, at least until you decide what it is you’re going to collect. No sense selling that Franklin Half if you decide Franklin Halves are what you want to collect. You can actually put together a decent set in the grade of that coin for a reasonable amount of money. Best wishes on whatever you decide.
    Me, the name under my CT name is “Borderline Hoarder” because I basically keep it all. Nothing wrong with keeping the silver until you retire. Wait, I retired 7 years ago next month and I haven’t sold. In fact, I’m still buying. :)

Heavymetal likes this.
  7. robec

robec Junior Member

Its conditition, condition, condition.
    Unless your Franklin half was an error, struck on a quarter or other denomination planchet, to be worth $1500 it would have to grade around MS66+ to MS67

The one below is MS66+. PCGS price guide is $315. MS67 price guide is $3600.

C23D4C54-15A7-4469-A3E1-0ABD45C5760C.jpeg

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You boys aren't hearing her, she thought this through. This is her business letting the market decide on the value, not our business. Good luck with this, Myka. I like what you're doing. We've a forum here in which you can offer them you might look into, it might cost you less, too.

Myka Gilliam and Kentucky like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Horse sense, like @eddiespin said, we have a buy/sell forum here where you would get a realistic price for your coins. On e-bay, who knows. To find a real value is difficult if you have no idea of the grade (condition) of your coins. The coin you showed first, a 1954 P half-dollar can be searched on Google and USA Coinbook page looks like this:
    upload_2023-11-27_17-13-22.png
    Yours might go "good" so how about $16...that is at a coin shop that is selling retail. They would probably give you half that. Do a little Googling to get a little idea. Good luck, any pics you want to post here will get responses. PS- $8 for melt (silver) value.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Letting the market decide is probably prudent. Selling individual coins less than $20-30 each will prove quite frustrating. The wonderful members here could easily pick out those candidates from group pictures. I try to sell groups of similar coins to total $40-60. Packaging, postage , auction fees , etc can be reduced to a small percentage of sales. Remember, $2-4 postage and insurance per package will lower the bids. On $50 bid it hardly matters. On a $10 item it will lower the sale price by the shipping cost posted. Ouch!
    I’d take some group pictures, post them on World coins, US coins or Coin Chat forums and let the members tell you which coins get over $50-75. The rest list groups of 8 or 10 with just two pictures.
    Such a valuable asset to get free appraisals.
    Here’s the way pictures might look for us to give basic. Picked these from local coin shop junk box IMG_0971.jpeg IMG_0973.jpeg IMG_0976.jpeg IMG_0975.jpeg

derkerlegand likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Nothing wrong with hoarding coins. I been doing it since about 1970. I have three safes in the house. Wife says the next safe sends me to the doghouse….. But I still have mountains of my “kid coins”. Each piece takes me back to a time and place in my life….. Keep them all and make them your heirs problem. That’s my motto.

masterswimmer and Barney McRae like this.
  12. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

I thought about getting a safe so I could keep revisiting mine. But a real thief and thug could force you to open the safe, life or death situation, not good. And yes, I'm armed but could get caught flat footed. So for now, safe deposit boxes and trips back and forth without the entire hoard in danger.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Randy Abercrombie I think you need the next safe in your office from your business. Lol

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Since others may not have a proper appreciation for your treasure, I thought I'd make a better trade offer for your coin.

I'm reasonably certain you haven't a high-grade 1945 full fasces Micro-s, sans toning and grading, having a possible eventual appearance as this "comp":
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/204550713053?hash=item2fa02c2edd:g:2pcAAOSwyNtlXn6d&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8Eh7n0lVvrC1r9KVa+5/6qxoVfWaYWznNApPcyJJrnogacC/JPHqjBTCwHRd0y9CKeAMtyG59awRlfQW86nKOCMjIpkBy5TJZC0JIYtaICH6agjaCUabCjRgJJfvF6QgCKFCvi0hO82ywUOe7PM/6nF1QNsyHI6uLmzbqxdrhtGZiLB59sphY3lgBLehqqMaK8q7+koHMXK3zme8mRuz6SSNcSkin6wPCUZS/wZvtS0EBmxpsBHyrDsMKJo7i49ufYEfhmG5vQhDYMnRH5iB4VwEoRP9P+u+XKfU+rCNCQGOih7ucY5b9+7WXXDJW/7TZQ==|tkp:Bk9SR9qH2bKDYw

I believe you'll find the trade having a greater value!

PM me if interested!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  15. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Interesting that those 1944 Belgium 2 francs were struck on blank U.S. 1943 cent planchets.

16. Barney McRae

I'm new here, and probably not the only one scratching my head. Ultimate sarcasm or just pure philanthropic good hearted charity? I'm completely clueless?

masterswimmer likes this.
  17. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Yeah
    What what

18. Barney McRae

Is this normal for this forum? I'm sure I was not the only one thinking that. But I'm new enough to break the ice and ask the question. :kiss:

masterswimmer likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Are you questioning the sincerity of someone offering a trade?

20. Barney McRae

No. But did you see the offer in kind? Did I miss something? lol Is there some kind of hazing ritual for newbies to go through here? Seems like there might be, considering the inequity in value. That or pure sarcasm.

21. Barney McRae

I need to ask the question now. Is this forum like my fishing forum where we are all trolling each other and it's all in good fun? I don't mind that, just would like to know in advance. lol

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted