it's this a bezel for a necklace on this 1972 Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by joshuacoinington, Oct 6, 2015.

1. joshuacoinington

joshuacoinington glade rd

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

More likely, it is from a charm bracelet.

Chris

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, charm bracelet I think, probably painted gold at some point.

Andrew Snovell and paddyman98 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Cool... we should have a Exonumia Forum to posts finds like this ;)

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could be from a keychain.

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I would have to go with Chris on this one. A necklace bezel has a larger loop for the chain to pass through. This one seems to keep the coin in place.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  8. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I vote for bracelet....

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Whether it is for a necklace, bracelet, or keychain it IS in a bezel.

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

???

I think that is a given to everyone, including the OP. What are you trying to say?

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The OP asked if it was in a bezel. Everyone got hung up on what kind of jewelry it was intended for.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

You can see how people can get wrong impressions from what they read. I took it as : Is it a bezel for a neckless or a bezel used for something else. (Because of the very small loop for attachment). Of course his sentence is a little hard to understand to begin with. I thought the first word was meant to be "Is".

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is no attachment loop on the piece. It is in a cheap bezel, probably steel and as all of the others of this type I have seen a small spot of the bezel is pulled up where the bezel was pulled off of whatever it was attached to. (above the WE)

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I thought that small area was created to insert a chain through. It was the "loop" I referred to. I haven't owned a coin with a bezel and I'm not a jewelry person. I guess my ignorance in this area shows. I'll let all those in the know post their opinions. I'll refrain from mine.

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Simple.. The OP was in fact asking if it was a bezel for a necklace. Here is a bezel that I own for my V Nickel. A bezel made for a necklace would split apart such as mine in order to fit the coin into it then it would be screwed with a top to secure it. The Moderator is correct in his description that it's a special bezel for a charm bracelet since you only see a small loop and painted a gold color. I have seen these made where this type of bezel is pressed with a special machine over the coin with the loop left open in order to attach to a charm bracelet.
    Here is my Necklace bezel 20151011_061952.jpg 20151011_062025.jpg

Lisa1980 likes this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just to add a little spice to this thread here's my civil war era love token. It's not in a bezel. It has a 14k loop soldered on so well that the only way to tell really is the difference in 14k & 22k gold color 20150321_131605_opt.jpg 20150321_131548_opt.jpg

Lisa1980 and paddyman98 like this.
  17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That's what I thought. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. In fact, it appears that the majority of the posts had the same opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted