It's the only 68 in the population

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DemoDan, Dec 2, 2021.

1. DemoDan

DemoDan New Member

I carefully packaged and labeled a new proof half oz. gold eagle for PCGS grading. Took it to the post office and paid the postage and insurance premiums and sent it. Just as I was leaving, Wham! Wham! Wham!, the clerk was pounding it all over with some Special Handling stamp!
    Anyway,
    It came back in a PF68 slab holder with a light scratch that you can see in the TrueView photos. I have no desire to be deceptive when I sell it but I also don't want to take a loss either.
    What would you do? Sell the sad story and it's population report uniqueness or eBay in the original packaging and keep the grading story to myself?
    Any offers?
    Thanks and Cheers!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/42497138

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and Welcome! Keep the story to yourself and let them decide if they want to buy it or not. Don't be deceptive at all. I hope this helps.:)

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Look at the bright side, it's a population of 1.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Mark it:

PPD

Postal Pounding Damage

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not sure what you mean by "carefully packaged". To me, "carefully packaged" means that every person who handles the package while in transit is an incompetent fool. Lesson learned!

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Keep it. In reality, how did that scratch get there? Maybe you missed it before you sent it in for grading. Just because you saw the postal employee doesn’t mean that’s how it was scratched. PCGS could have scratched it. If you carefully wrapped it then the Wham, Wham, Wham from the postal clerk shouldn’t have hurt the coin. Just saying it could be from something unknown to you.

Welcome to CT and remember, it’s only a population of 1.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it probably is a 68 with the scratch, most proof should be 69 or 70. looks to me from the true view, the tiny nick above the D in GOD on the reverse is the only thing stopping ti from a 69-70 as it is.

just because it's a 68 and pop 1 doesn't mean theres isn't 3000 coins graded higher. LOL

I'd say it's a legit 68 though and wouldn't feel bad representing it as one, heck if you crack it out and resubmit it, someone might even see it as a 69 really at some point.

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Pretty high grade for a bottom pop.

Draft saved Draft deleted