Its sad that this Trade $ lost its provenance

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mullah, Oct 4, 2019.

1. mullah

mullah Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I saw a big seller at the 2011 ANA selling a PCGS MS65 $20 Liberty gold. Better date. I asked about it and they showed me the old cert. Was previously a MS64 from that giant San Fran gold hoard found by that couple walking their dogs. They had the slip with it, but said they didn't believe it would upgrade on it's own in that holder, so they cracked it and resubmitted raw.

TypeCoin971793 and Stevearino like this.
  4. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

As long as high resolution photographs exist with the original provenance mentioned, the provenance won't be really lost. It will just take some work to bring it to notice again. With more and more high res photos being available through TPGs, auction companies, ANS, ANA, Newman Portal, etc. plus continuing improvements in image matching, it will be easier than ever to retrieve provenance for older coins.

However, if your interest is in recently minted 69- and 70-graded coins ... well, they all look alike.

Cal

Stevearino likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How do you know that it lost its provenance? I don't see a picture of the slab at all. It isn't mentioned by the seller, but the seller is also violating Ebay rules....

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It was posted on the CU forum by Bruce Morelan, who is very familiar with the high end trade dollars, that it was from the Eliasberg collection.

baseball21 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That would be a shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted