It's official: prices are insane

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Marsden, May 17, 2022.

1. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

Melt value only. not for my collection!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

And when was the last time any of you melted any coins? Is there anyone who does that? I just don't understand what the fixation is about melt values.

4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I've been in the same boat. It's always grandpa's coin collection. A shoe box of worn, common date pocket change. Spent the time to ensure there was no ringers. I explain its worth melt. Never made an offer. Then I'm made out to be a lier who knows nothing.

medoraman likes this.
  5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Melt value is the intrinsic value of the precious metal of a coin. It is assigned to a coin that is worn or damaged to the point of losing its extrinsic (collectable) value.

6. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Not quite fixated here but I have taken scrap silver to my local dealer a couple times. Some of it's coin silver, most of it is sterling. And I doubt I'm the only one!

To me, the use of the phrase here is just shorthand for saying a piece has no collector value whatever. And that there is a floor notwithstanding.

Now if I could only find my great-grandfather's 18k cuff links. No one wants them anyway.

7. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

If he didn't, he should have.
    Semper Fi

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You got to be cruel to be kind. Wish I could @green18. Or knew how to send this video

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

LakeEffect likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I buy coins for my local club’s door prize and drawing. Morgan Dollars are no off limits because the price for sincerely ugly, culls is now up to $28 apiece. I don’t know who is supporting this price, but it sure isn’t me.

11. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Crazy eddie I remember Him long ago. and the look super whizzed .

12. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

What can I say?? The guy likes to talk with his hands.

BTW, if you like Nick Lowe, some of his later material is also incredibly good. Several tracks off of The Impossible Bird are knockouts.

-jeffB and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted