It's been a while !

Discussion in 'Contests' started by GDJMSP, Dec 20, 2006.

1. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Thanks for the giveaway GDJMSP.

Hope you had a merry X-mas and happy New Year. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Well, that's easy enough!
    Thanks

4. Dabalzak

Dabalzak Senior Member

Thank you for having the contest.
    Thank you for helping me learn more by searching and reading and becoming more informed about the history of this great hobby.

Not for extra credit, but I had to try just for the learning experience.

1 - when & where (country) was the first coin auction ?
    Answer: Between 1857 and 1867 in America.

2 - When and what nation issued the first folding currency ?
    Answer: 806 -821 In China a severe shortage of copper used for making coins causes the Emperor Hien Tsung to issue paper money notes.

3 - Who was the author and in what year was the first type written book on coins published ?
    Answer: Unfortunately I do not know this one, and haven't been able to find information on this at all. If I figure it out i'll post it though.

Good luck to all who enter.

Tom

EDIT: Found this bit of trivia while researching and thought it interesting to add ...

1124 Punishment of the mint masters At the Assize of Winchester on Christmas day all the mint masters are punished by having their right hands cut off. Not surprisingly this produces a temporary improvement in the quality of the coinage.

5. TroyCoins

TroyCoins New Member

6. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

How can I resist? Even though my name is AgCollector, there's still some room for Au!

7. Pirata72

Pirata72 Senior Member

First Post

Been reading the posts daily and learning in the background for months now. Only been collecting coins/paper money for two years now. Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing there knowledge with a beginner. I've learned plenty but must of all that there is so much more to learn.

8. peter170

peter170 New Member

OOOOOWWW....OHHHHH! Pick me, Pick me..Iam in.

Peter

9. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

Thanks for contest, count me in.

10. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

11. Check_M_All

Check_M_All New Member

Happy New Year!

12. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Too complicated for me! I'll wait for the next contest...Oh wait, I'm in! :eek:

13. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Please let me in the contest. =)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Winner !

First of all I want to thank everyone, I want to thank you for your friendship, for the time you spend here, for the knowledge you have shared with me and others. But most of all, I want to thank you for the joy and pleasure that I have received over the years just from being around all of you. You're all like a family to me - even when we disagree :hug:

And now, the winner - Bonedigger ! Congrats Bone - hope you enjoy it :high5:

And what did he win -

[​IMG]

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And for the answers to the questions -

1 - first coin auction - 1598 in Leiden, Netherlands.

2 - first curency - 118 BC: Leather money was used in China in the form of one-foot-square pieces of
    white deerskin with colorful borders. This could be considered the first documented type of banknote.
    The value of each of these banknotes was 40,000 cash.

3 - Quite soon after Gutenberg had invented printing (first printed edition of the Bible 1453), a flood of
    books containing illustrations and interpretations of coins appeared.

In 1511, Margarethe Peutinger, wife of the Humanist Conrad Peutinger, sent a treatise on the
    images and titles of the Roman Emperors on the coins of their times to her brother Christopher Welser,
    asking him to arrange the publication of this work.

16. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

Thank you.

GDJMSP. Thanks for the contest.

17. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

DOUG,
    THANKS FOR THE CONTEST , BEN CONGRATULATIONS.:thumb:
    BRUCE.

18. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Holey Smokes...:yawn: :goofer: :yawn: Cointalk is the simply the best coin discussion forum on the internet. All I can say is DAMN!!!:hug:
    Thanks Moen for the kind words...:eek:dd: :rolling:

Happy New Year All...
    Ben

19. LSM

LSM Collector

Doug, Thank you for the contest.
    Ben congratulations!!! What a nice way to start the New Year. That Ducat will be a nice addition to your collection.

Lou

20. Skylark

Skylark Senior Member

Congrats Bonedigger and what an excellent avatar you now have.

21. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

WOW! what a great coin! congrats bonedigger you lucky dog...thanks for the contest!

Draft saved Draft deleted