It's articles like THESE that are blowing up the errors forum . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

LakeEffect likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

$5.5 Million - wow.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

We went through a spell last year where every other post was a Rockwell Test divot. I swear people were shooting cents with BB guns in their backyard and posting them here as Rockwell test coins. I went out and found a YouTube star (huh??) that was making people froth at the mouth over cents with divots in them. The fellow was dramatic as a B-reel actor.

ZoidMeister and Inspector43 like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I thought the hardness tests were conducted on the die steel. If my understanding is correct, then the "blemishes" on the coins would be raised, wouldn't they? So, BB guns would be useless.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You don't remember seeing all those threads with divots in the coins?

7. cpm9ball

I remember reading those threads, but the suspected anomalies were raised if I recall.

8. cpm9ball

capthank and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Maxfli, Heavymetal and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

To be fair, if you actually click through the linked slideshow, the coins shown are legitimate collectibles, like 1922-Plain, 1793 Large Cent, bronze war Lincolns, etc ... and the author does point out that condition affects value, too.

Sure, some will view it and swear they have the same matte proof they see in the picture, but it's still a cut above the road kill "errors" you see on youTube.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    capthank and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

This, IMO, is mostly a generational thing. I'm old. The first pocket calculator I encountered in school was in college and it had 4 functions and took 6 D-cell batteries. The younger generations, those born after 1979, many asking these questions about errors, have grown up with the internet, google, wiki, etc. Instant info. Who cares if it's accurate? "It must be correct and true, its on the internet", right? Too quick to ask the wrong question and argue when they don't get the answer they want. I blame the educational system mostly. Kids are being taught the answers to the test questions to pass the finals. Not how to logically research a question and search for the answer, from multiple sources and draw their own conclusion. Instead, we see a plethora of Parrots. Very few of today's graduates have any idea about a process to solve a problem other then the internet. But, I ramble...
    One of my favorite quotes is "The smartest person in the room is not the one with the all the answers, its the one with all the right questions".

goossen, Beefer518, capthank and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Virtual reality is upon us I only hope that millenials can handle it as they are our future! Thanks for the post

14. Mike Thornton

I hope so as well. With all the current events, it doesn't look likely though. We, pre-millenials, may never know the truth. We'll either be gone or the revisionest will rewrite history. Sad situation we're in.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike T. I could not have put it better. Be safe

16. Mike Thornton

It's a bit off the original topic but I always try to be a positive person. In my experience, if you look hard enough, you can always find something positive. Even in the worst situation and outcome, the positive is you have the opportunity to learn what not to do. The best lessons I've learned in life were usually from the worst decisions or mistakes I've made.

goossen likes this.
  17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This. Can we at least keep it on the errors forum?

Draft saved Draft deleted