Italian note help

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, Sep 16, 2012.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Are there any Italian Note buffs out there? This note, a 1951 50 Lira (Pick 91b), is a nice little note, but I'd like to find out more about it. My Standard Catalogue states that "Italia" is on the left of the note. When I look up Italia on the Web, it states that she usually has a mural helmet on. Take a look at the one below. There are 5 wolves (?) in a row and another above it on this helmet. I'm sure there has to be some type of symbolism there but I can't find anything written about it. Also, the background desgin on the front actually depicts 2 human figures. What are those? Or who are they or who do they represent?

I'm facinated by the symbolism here and hope someone can help. THANKS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

The Italian wolf is Italy’s unofficial national animal and plays a large role in the legend of the founding of Rome.[SUP]a
    [/SUP][SUP]a[/SUP] Blashfield, Jean F. 2009. Italy: Enchantment of the World. New York: Scholastic Inc.

In Republican times, several icons such as the Eagle, Wolf, Bear, Boar or Minotaur were carried as the symbols of Republican Legions. http://www.legionxxiv.org/signum/

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Romulus and Remus are the purported founders of Rome, and they were believed by the Romans to have been suckled by a she-wolf.

I have found the design fascinating since it is so different from the 100 and 500 Lire notes.

5. Dtm

Dtm New Member

I want an Italian note!:D

6. petronius

petronius Duke

Hello from Italy :D

Your note is commonly called "Helmeted Italy", but the portrait on the left is actually the goddess Rome, topped by a huge helmet adorned with the famous Roman she-wolf. Helmet and background design, two men with two horses in classical style, are a detail of the bas-relief of the "Altar of Fatherland" (Altare della Patria).

Nice note :thumb:

See below "Altare della Patria", in Rome, and Roman she-wolf with the twins Romulus and Remus.

altare della patria.jpg

LupaCapitolina.jpg

petronius :)

7. petronius

petronius Duke

The same design is also on 100 Lire, 1951 (image from Ron Wise's world banknotes)

100lire1951.jpg

petronius :smile

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted