It was about time! 2014 DDO!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by sunday13, Feb 17, 2019.

1. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

so 3 min to turn into a pumpkin....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

After midnight I will start uploading some 1969s double dies!!! Careful:smuggrin::smuggrin:

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

13!!!!!! Now, it's 9!

Chris

5. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

You are right! See? I am in an hurry! The same way I am in a hurry getting people "seeing" my "not always" doudled dies!!!!hahahhaha( noticed the "d" in doubled right?? I am getting sooooo good!

SlipperySocks and cpm9ball like this.
  6. cpm9ball

No problem. That will give everyone "6 days of Nope! until someone makes you happy."

Off Topic
    Did you see that crazy finish to the Daytona 500?

Chris

SlipperySocks likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

8. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

No, I didn't... Sorry. COINS are life !!! ( Just Kidding)Besides... I don't have a I have a 55" flat screen across my keyboard!!!hahahaha. Stick around Chris. I have some good coins coming...and be open minded!!!hahahhah

9. cpm9ball

Okay! I'll be open-minded if you keep the Febreze handy.

Chris

GenX Enthusiast and sunday13 like this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I can see some offset at the base of the "T." Now, I'm with the DDO members.

Good find and this is a great teaching moment. Believe your own eyes and do the research so that you can "gracefully" refute the opinions of others. With florescent light, a DDO coin with this much "spread" would have been detected immediately by all of us naysayers.

11. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Thank you! I appreciate it!!

12. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

I did. They could barely make it one lap before having to "park" on the racetrack.....again!

Nice find Sunday. I have been looking for that one too.

13. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Thank youuuu!!!

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Insider, I still can not justify in my mind how a single squeeze hubbing can produce a Doubled Die. Yes, I know the engraving CNC tool "skips , vibrates, or slides" as it does its job and withdraws from the surface. That is a single event ( Die goes down, die comes up) .Why is it a "doubled" as it seems to me like it is MD and should be called at best MHD ( mechanical hubbing damage ) rather than True double (hubbed) die. I know some "companies/people" push these as equivalent to real DD for the income, but you are a professional, I would like to know your opinion and if your company authenticates and slab most of these. I know you are a old timer like myself. If you prefer not to comment, I respect that, Jim

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Jim, I cannot explain it. :( I don't know how any of this stuff happens. The reason I changed my mind is the base of the "T" looks to be off-set (similar to the base of the 4 in a 42/41 dime) and the top of the letter where it splits appears to be the same height. If it looks like a doubled die, AFAIK, it is.

Of course, we don't have the coin. All of this is being done with images alone - both the OP's and CONECA's. The OP should send the coin to Ken Potter at Coin World as he may publish it.

sunday13 likes this.
  16. desertgem

Fair enough and Thanks. Except for a box of 2009 New cents from the bank which contains a significant number of listed SS-DD that I will sell some day, or my son will after me, my DD collection stops with 1995. Its rather like putting a VW engine in a MB 500 and still call and try to sell it as a Mercedes ( fake example). Guess that is the state of the world today, If you say something long enough , it may become the 'truth' . Take away the DD label and I expect non of the single squeeze cent ones would sell for more than a dollar or two. My own impression of course. Grin and Bear It :) Jim

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

maybe "single" squeeze is actually "double" squeeze at least one level up on the master die versus working die? I haven't researched out the entire process of single squeeze to figure it out. @Insider @desertgem @Rick Stachowski

but the result is interesting ...

18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

19. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Nice find!

sunday13 likes this.
  20. desertgem

Somehow I suspect they figured if they slightly pointed the hub die, it would by the angle push the coin metal into the proper places, but under the heavy pressure the tips would slip, slide and vibrate , thus produce the damage now called a "DD" by devotees. Most are found near the center of the coin and that seems reasonable due to the force there. By doing this , intermediate steps are eliminated and thus cheaper and making the coins faster. None of that bothers me, its using a name that does not apply~Doubled die. It can not be!, as there is no second squeeze. It is just a short step to making mechanical doubling and die deterioration damage ( I suppose even ss process can deteriorate ) by the same term "Doubled die". Then some of the faithful members who continue to attribute coins for the multitude of Youtube devotees will only have to say "Doubled die , Bye sir and come again! " But it won't change, there is too much money in it. :( Jim

21. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Thanks! I probably will.

Draft saved Draft deleted