It pays to be nice sometimes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by eric6794, Jul 21, 2016.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

The majority of people are extremely nice and helpful. The media reports mostly on exceptional circumstances and they come to seem like the norm, but most of those stories are really outliers. Not to say one shouldn't use caution at all times, but we could probably trust each other far more than we do. Fear and anxiety are very powerful things - and apparently horror movies are, too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Is it that we "can't trust people", or that the paranoia has simply become too much? We're talking about (what I assume to be) a full grown man going to the home of an "elderly" gentleman and his wife here with recommendations of having someone ready to "call for help"? Oy....

micbraun and mlov43 like this.
  4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

It's just being precautionary that's all. No one said the old guy was a sicko, or likely one. I bet your among the first ones to say they should have been more careful when something happens to someone and it's on the news.

5. BooksB4Coins

I know you didn't mean to imply anything and just voicing reasonable caution. It was more of a connected general observation of society today. No harm.... :)

Endeavor likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yup, most of us today have become jaded in our outlook...........A couple of years ago I was at a gas station, filling the tank, when a young person walked up to me and said he needed $5 for gas to get home. I told him to go fish, but immediately rescinded that statement by saying. 'maybe you really do need that money', so I extended the funds. I also added that if you are joshing me God is gonna get ya. Let it be on his conscience........Mine's clear.

mark_h and eric6794 like this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

Haha... that's good. May even be better than "karma's a bit..". ;)

Fortunately or unfortunately I cannot say, but I'm the same way. I'm sure I've been taken many a time, but the "what if" and "it's only a few dollars" devil/angel on my shoulder gets the best of me. There are and have been the exceptions though...

green18 likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And really, if the funds were truly needed, do you want to be the guy to deny them? You don't, and I don't. Couldn't live with myself if I thought that possibility most evident.

And as for the exceptions? I write them off....... devil.gif

Kentucky likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

Some years back I was approached on the street by this rather rough and scraggly looking fellow claiming to be hungry, and asking for a few dollars for food. He looked the part, and when I offered to walk with him a block or two to the nearest store, he readily accepted. However, as we neared the store, the truth came out... calories he wanted, but let's just say only the empty type, and the situation turned ugly very quickly. This is what I think of now whenever it happens, but still I can't bring myself to simply say no to any or all requests unless obvious.

green18 likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I was going to a food court and a beggar was outside. I got an extra burger & fries and gave the bag to him on my way out. He cussed me and said something I don't remember ...probably was mad because I didn't have a coke for him! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Awww what's in the box? Comes to mind. lol

12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

*STATUS UPDATE* I am still alive after visiting this gentleman's house (he didnt boil me and serve me as soup just in case anyone was wondering lol) and im doing better for going there although it was a short visit because his wife was a little under the weather. Let me tell you this guy has probably forgot more about coins than I ever will know, he owned a coin shop in upper Philadelphia in the 70's and from what I gathered he did quite well. He has so much that I have never even seen in my life just put away like its nothing cause apparently he's a well to do man. I thought about asking to take pictures of some of the German coins he has because he is a big time ww1 and before collector but I know id feel a little apprehensive to let someone take pictures of my coins especially if I had what he has. Long story short if you are a novice collector like me take time and talk to our older generation because they will school you on a lot of things if you take time to listen.

Garlicus, Vess1 and Endeavor like this.
  13. eric6794

I had a similar story a couple months back, I was at the doctors office with my wife and went out to the car to sit for a while when an older lady came up to me and asked if I had a couple dollars so she could get something to eat at the store a block up well at the time I didnt have any cash on me and I said im sorry but I dont have it, a minute passed after she moved on and I seen her walking to the store and I thought hey I have my card on me and if shes hungry I'll follow her and buy her some food so I followed her. I walked in about 10 paces or so behind her and seen her go straight to where the beer is so I decided to wait and see what she does low and behold she grabs 2 25 oz beers puts them in her pocket and walks out the store with them I sat there in disbelief shaking my head and was disappointed to the point I failed to remember to let the clerks know she just shoplifted. I know there are people out there that truly need help but sometimes I just get sick and say no to them because of stuff like that.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Ask him if you can tell us the name of his store or even who he is. Of course he knew Harry Forman. So he moved to eastern Kentucky?

15. eric6794

next time I will ask him, and yes he moved here because he was from here originally but I believe he said his wife was from there.

16. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Yea...most likely this was a nice gesture by a nice old man...OR he could be a stone cold killer that wants to exact his vengeance on some unsuspecting soul. Watch out!!!

17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Several of you live in pretty dark, scary places when the first thought for numismatic/collector finds is serial killer on the hunt. Trust me, candy and gold jewelry are much better lures.

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ha. Thats from the movie Seven. Believe it or not that was my first official "date" with a girl from my HS freshman English class. Good times lol

19. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Not ever really lived in those dark, scary places but have visited in my 22+ year Army Career. And for the fact that now a days, you don't really know a person...years can go by and you will discover something you never knew about people you thought you knew so well...trust me people can keep deep horrible secrets till their deathbeds. I know I will. O.O

20. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

Update on fellow Vietnam Vet and helping his wife and two kids dispose of his coin "accumulation." I brought the ten boxes to our coin club "Trade Fair" a semi-annual event for club members to buy, sell or trade their excess, double, unwanted, etc. coins. I collected over $2,500 for Jim's family, the only problem was most didn't want a coin(s) they just dropped money into the box. I had to talk them into taking something. One member owns a coin shop, so he sat next to me and helped me price out anything a member wanted to buy. He even bought stuff that I know he didn't need.

I admit I had personal reasons to get them to take something- the ten boxes were heavy and I didn't want to have to bring them home again. Marie encouraged me to get the members to take coins they may like/need.

So there are good people out there willing to help, they just need to know that the person they're helping is really legit. I'll bring the last two boxes to next month's meeting and probably encourage the YN members to "dig in", I'm sure there will be people still just dropping money into the box without taking anything, so all should balance out.

green18 likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"It pays to be nice sometimes"

I don't believe in it

eric6794 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted