It pays to be nice sometimes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by eric6794, Jul 21, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

If you've never read any of my post before I work at a carryout/convenience store and yesterday I was talking to an elderly gentleman that has came to where I work for years, well yesterday I mentioned that I am a coin collector and have been for a while now and he said he was as well and we talked as long as we could through the drive thru. Well today he came back in and gave me this 2000 ASE as a tip for the many years of being nice to him and his wife and said that he has a large collection and that I am welcome over to his house anytime to look and discuss coins and currency. Real nice fella he's been collecting since the 50's and I cant wait to go over to discuss things and to pick his brain. I know the pic's arent that great but they dont need to be for this coin its just a bullion coin that has wear but I thought i'd post some pics anyways, like the thread says sometimes it pays to be nice :D 2000ase1.jpg 2000ase2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Let's hope he's nice - I would be scared he would knock me out and chain me up in his basement - Although I do watch A lot of horror movies!!

SmokinJoe, Insider, Endeavor and 6 others like this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I just literally spit my drink laughing haha, sometimes you also have to take a chance. Darn horror films they make you wonder about that kinda stuff lol.

Endeavor and Markus1959 like this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Funny - Yeah - I gotta quit watching the Horror Channel after Midnight!!

Endeavor, charlietig and John77 like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lots of nice folks out there. You just never know who you are talking with.

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Looks like he's passed on a pocket piece to somebody he hopes will appreciate it and keep up the practice. Enjoy!

Endeavor, green18 and Greg Smith like this.
  8. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

There are nice people out there and "coin people" seem to be in that category. A friend and fellow Vietnam Vet and coin club member passed away earlier this year rom cancer. He left behind a wife and two daughters and a stack of bills.

His wife called me and said that the girls had packed the coins he had left into cartons and would I help sell them for them. I don't know of any coin guy or girl who would have said no. I said sure and they said they would drop off the cartons.

Two days later they pulled up into my driveway and we started to unload 10 file boxes of coins. They were, I was told, not organized, so I should take my time putting them into some kind of order and then sell them for what I considered a fair price. Word got out to the coin club and before I knew it I started to get phone calls from members volunteering to help me. We got together on a Saturday and here's what we found: Boxes 1 to 4 were loose cardboard flips of Lincoln cents, We decided to put them, by date, into plastic pages and then into notebooks. One group worked on that.

Boxes 5 and 6 were loose foreign coins- I don't collect them and had no idea what to value them at. Phone calls were made and three more members came over and took the 2 boxes with them with the promise of organizing them into plastic pages and then notebooks.

Boxes 7 and 8 were easy, they had complete Dansco Albums- Franklin Halves, Eisenhower Dollars, Roosevelt Dimes, Kennedy Halves and 1941 to 2006 Lincoln Cents.

Boxes 9 and 10 contained supplies: cardboard flips, plastic pages, coin rolls, etc. We are determined to get everything together by July 25th, the scheduled date for our coin club's Trade Fair. Anything left, I would be given a table at our semi-annual Coin Show in November, but I have a feeling there won't be anything left after the Trade Show. Members wanted to buy, above Red Book listing, coins right on the spot.

I think we're going to be able to help this family. Nice People? They're out there, you just have to be a little more careful than when us old timers were kids.

Jaelus, Kentucky, coin_nut and 8 others like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lovely story. God bless you..........

Endeavor likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Aren't you from Cleveland though? May not be the movies....

Kentucky, NSP and green18 like this.
  11. green18

And may God Bless OP's friend too.........the world needs more folks like you. They're out there, though sometimes incognito.

Endeavor likes this.
  12. green18

Lovely story..........

13. green18

BTK was from Kansas, wasn't he?

14. You people are way to paranoid !

15. Nice story Mont. Welcome home ! RVN. 68/69

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

What's the problem, man?
    Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 10.47.25 PM.png
    What's wrong with guys livin' in van down by the river?

NSP and Endeavor like this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

They become motivational speakers :wacky:

18. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

It puts the lotion in the basket, it does this anytime it's told

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I believe so... but I'm thinking of that Cuban (?) dude in Cleveland.

20. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Alright @eric6794 ! Glad to read your story after you were helping to me. I definitely agree good things happen to those who do good. People gravitate to those that are pleasant.

Hope the meet with the older collector goes well. Just in case of the horror movie scenario, be sure to tell someone you know exactly where you are going and have them call you if they don't hear from you by x o'clock. If they don't get through then call for help. I don't think that would be likely with someone you have seen for years who also collects coins but just in case. Take care.

eric6794 likes this.
  21. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

It's kind of sad we can't trust people.

Safety first, I suppose. Yes, I hope the meeting is fruitful!

Draft saved Draft deleted