It might be dirty, but it's purty.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Do you like old type coins ? They are my favorite when I can afford them. Here is 1853 Seated Dime (With arrows) I picked up. Not sure of the grade, but it sure is nice to look at.

1853 Arrows Dime-Obv.JPG Dime-Rev.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Good looking seated you got ,congrats!

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I love old type coins, in fact, that's the focus of my collecting. Cheers :)

5. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

my dad has a 1853-O seated quarter that's probably ag.

6. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at my copy of the ANA grading book. I vehemently disagree with the poster who said it's AG. The description in my book of AG is, "OBVERSE: Rim is worn down into stars and/or date. Seated figure is outlined, but little or no other detail shows. REVERSE: Rim is worn down into legend. Wreath is outlined but no leaf detail shows."

That isn't even close to what we're looking at here. In fact, by comparing pics and descriptions, I'm going with EF-40. Here is the description: "OBVERSE: Light wear shows on high points, especially leg, breast and arm above shield. REVERSE: Light wear shows on high points of wreath and bow."

The grade below, VF-30, says "Liberty usually is rather sharp." In this case, not only is liberty sharp, but the lines in the shield are still present. The lines in the shield are gone by VG-8.

So it technically grades, in my opinion, at EF-40. Market grading I'm not so good at. At first I thought the coin might be cleaned because of some hairlines in the fields of the obverse, especially to the right, but I don't really think so. The reverse has too much toning left to have been a cleaned coin. Can you tell me more about the hairlines? If the coin is damaged, it's an EF-40 DETAILS.

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I think Nevadabell was saying that the quarter his father owns is an AG--not the OP's dime which I would call a strong VF to weak EF.

Draft saved Draft deleted