It Mesopotamia under the rule of Rome and barbaric imitation?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by paschka, Nov 1, 2015.

1. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paschka

What language is the legend on this coin? It's not Latin? Maybe this
    Ancient Arabian coin is an ancient Arabic or languages of the peoples of ancient Iraq? If this barbaric imitation of a Roman coin, it is not just a crude forgery in ancient times, and the ability of local intrpritatsiya Roman provincial coins in the local language.

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i really have no idea what that is paschka. :eggface:

paschka likes this.
  5. paschka

If this coin early Arab tribes under Roman rule, it interestnaya and rare. But I have an analog her she found another.

6. paschka

The style of this coin is similar to Bactria, but there was a Roman province. The letters also similar to the ancient Indian language. Can someone is hypothesized that this is a coin?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i think you may be correct pascka, it kind of looks like kharoshthi script on the reverse...but i'm just not sure.

panzerman and paschka like this.
  8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

I would say this coin is clearly based on a Roman original with a standing deity with cornucopia and rudder on the reverse (usually this is Fortuna).
    It is definitely not from Bactria !

paschka likes this.
  9. paschka

THCoin, Yes, it is an imitation of a Roman coin, and on the manufacturing technique is very similar to the later podrazheie, perhaps even 4-5-6 century. My technique is similar to the later coins. Party with a portrait of Emperor explicit stylized.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

11. paschka

it is certainly not the coin, though similar to the one side and on the font looks like
    image00116.jpg

Edessa and dlhill132 like this.
  12. paschka

Dear colleagues! May you have any opinions about my coin? Thanks in advance for your hypothesis.

panzerman likes this.
  13. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This is going to be an eastern Roman provincial issue. Perhaps somewhere in Mesopotamia, around the late Severans. I don't have the references to check this.

Ancientnoob, Mikey Zee and paschka like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, my opinion is that the second coin you posted doesn't even remotely resemble the first coin in any way, shape, or form :D.

Paschka, CoinTalk member Ardatirion is a professional numismatic cataloger. He works for CNG. I'd take his opinion and start searching Roman provincials from the late Severan era. The reverse is probably Tyche.

15. paschka

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=297002

emp. Severans. Early 3rd century AD. AV “Quinarius” (14mm, 2.93 g, 12h). Barbarous imitation. CCCCJLIIIIIOSCTIIVIИCO3COSC, laureate head right /CSIJIICCOUJJOΓVISC, figure seated left, holding uncertain object and scepter. Cf. King, Elagabalus 1 = Göbl, Antike 2615, and Göbl, Antike 2616 (for similar). VF, toned, remnant of ancient mount attached.

16. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

No comment:cigar:

stevex6 likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm? => hey Ardy, maybe your ol' nemesis, Mark Salzberg would know?

... I'm just sayin'

:woot:

Sorry, it's Easter and I'm merely havin' some fun (I'll be good => I have Easter lasagna cooking)

19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Watch out. This is how celebrity feud articles in tabloids start.

stevex6 likes this.
  20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree very eastern Roman provincial. The language would be greek, and some letters are clearly greek on here. Maybe Singara or similar?

paschka likes this.
  21. paschka

Ladies and gentlemen,

my friend the Greek scholar deciphered my letter on this coin:

AYITTOP (CL) Viti side of the letter "G" and the Greek figure "3"

is a meaningless set of letters or the name of the city of origin of the coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted