It May Be Rough, But It's One of My Favorites

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by CamaroDMD, Dec 5, 2016.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I thought I would share with you one of my favorite notes in my collection. It is also one that sorta breaks one of the big rules of collecting:

People often say "Buy the nicest example that you can afford" and "Don't buy problem coins/currency." As a general rule, I think that is 100% correct. Avoid problem coins and notes for your collection. They are hard to sell and typically in time you regret picking them up. This is absolutely true. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. Take this note for instance:

[​IMG]

At first glance, it looks like a torn...ratty beat up 1902 National. A note that has been repaired (and not that well). Probably not a lot here. However, as of the last time I checked...only 6 examples of this 1902 Plain Back $10 note are known. If I ever came across another, I would be lucky. So, when this note came up for sale, I jumped on it. I may never see another one.

Now, why is this note so special...well, because it is from a bank in my home town. I was born and raised in Eugene, Oregon. It is my first and thus far only Eugene note.

I'm a big believer that when you are dealing with items this scarce, you don't always have the luxury of buying problem free examples. Sometimes it's own a problem example or don't one the piece at all.

Andres2, old49er, NOS and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I will be the first to forgive you @CamaroDMD, and anyone else buying a scarce hometown large-size National that has problems. You're right when saying;
    Thanks for sharing sir.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@CamaroDMD

My grandmother lived in Eugene for the last few decades of her life. She was almost 104 when she passed.

Did you ever go to the Buckhorn Tavern in Dexter?

Chris

5. CamaroDMD

Actually I have. It's been a while but I have been there. I lived in Eugene for 23 years. I was born and raised there and lived there through college. I moved away when I went to dental school and ended up staying in Portland. I sorta got married and my wife is from Portland and didn't want to move south.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Sorta. I wonder if she agrees with "sorta"?

When you collect Nationals you collect what you can get. I have some that are real rags, but glad to have them. The further west you go in the US the less common Nationals get. California is only common for San Francisco and no other places. Oregon gets a lot less common.

7. CamaroDMD

Yeah...she probably doesn't agree with the sorta part. Haha. Honestly, my wife is an angel.

But yes, Oregon can be hard. 1929 Portland notes aren't bad but other than that they are hard. I think I'm going to start focusing more on Oregon in general. This Eugene only thing hasn't really worked out. haha.

8. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Have you ever watched "Band of Brothers"? The scene where Malarkey is talking to the captured German soldier and he's from Eugene? Cool.

9. CamaroDMD

I've seen it...and I've read his book. He's actually from Portland, HBO got it wrong. He actually makes a point to say that in the book. haha.

Dougmeister likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

Yeah, one of my favorite "made for TV" shows about WWII.

Chris

11. cpm9ball

I have a funny story about the Buckhorn Tavern, but that should be for another day.

Chris

CamaroDMD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted