It is mostly TIF's fault

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

When @TIF bought her "snake cowboy" coin of Domitian, I knew I had to have one. Here is the original thread:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so-these-exist-snake-cowboys.314032/#post-3041893

Thanks to @TIF for her excellent thread and for the inspiration to track down one of these for myself.

And then @David Atherton grabbed one recently. That one is the Dattari plate coin, and it is a lovely piece. I knew one was coming up in a Leu auction. Well, the lot ended yesterday and I am very happy to say that I am now part of the "Snake cowboy" club. I was prepared to go higher than the hammer which surprised me because this coin attracts lots of attention from collectors. I mean who would not love a coin depicting a snake riding a horse?

I love these Egyptian coins with their very interesting reverses. I know the coin is a bit rough but that is okay. With this rare type, one takes what the market offers.

Please post your coins featuring Agathadaemon or even some plain snakes.

EGYPT. Alexandria. Domitian, 81-96. Diobol (Bronze, 25 mm, 7.42 g, 11 h), RY 10 = 90/1. [ΑΥΤ] ΚΑΙϹΑΡ ΔΟΜΙΤ [ϹЄΒ ΓЄΡΜ] Laureate head of Domitian to right, with aegis on his left shoulder. Rev. L I Agathodaemon serpent riding a horse to right. Dattari (Savio) 563. Emmett 276.10. K&G 24.110. RPC II 5284A. Extremely rare. Somewhat porous and with light deposits, otherwise, good fine.

snake cowboy.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ride 'em snake cowboys! It's a trend! :p

Sheesh, now *I* want one...

Theodosius, ominus1 and LaCointessa like this.
  4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I saw that one, Orfew, and had it on my bid list but I was busy and forgot all about the Leu provincials :(. I pretty much watch (and often bid) on all snake cowboys because I love the type and I'm a hog :D. Glad this one went to you :).

Looks like I missed another snake cowboy thread recently-- @David Atherton . I meant to drop some pictures there. Guess I'll do it here instead. I don't recall if there are any I haven't shown before. If so, I probably haven't taken (or processed) pics yet. Hard to keep track because I've underbid so many of them in the last year or two!

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian. Regnal year 10, CE 90/91. Æ diobol (25mm, 10.86 g, 12h). AVT KAICAP ΔΟ ΜΙΤ CEB ΓΕΡΜ, laureate head right / Agathodaemon serpent, wearing the skhent crown (emblematic of upper and lower Egypt), on horseback galloping left; L I (date) below. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) –; K&G 24.109; RPC II 2585; SNG Copenhagen 214; Emmett 277.10 (R5).

Ex Giovanni Maria Staffieri Collection. Ex West Coast/Lloyd Beauchaine Collection (Classical Numismatic Group 41, 19 March 1997), lot 1110; Classical Numismatic Review Vol. XVI, No. 1 (January 1991), lot 316; Numismatic Fine Arts Fall Mail Bid Sale (18 October 1990), lot 2365.

Appearances: Staffieri, Alexandria In Nummis 39 (this coin). Obverse illustrated in Emmett as the header for the Domitian section, p. 24 (this coin); fully illustrated in Emmett, p. 26 (this coin, discussing the unusual reverse).

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Caracalla as Caesar
    RY 9 of Septimius Severus, 200/1 CE
    Diobol
    Obv: [illegible but probably AVT] KMAVPHΛANTωNINOCCEB; laureate draped bust right
    Rev: Agathodaemon standing erect right, "holding" grain ear; atop horse galloping right; LΘ below
    Ref: Dattari 4050; Emmett 2774. This rare type was previously known only for Caracalla’s 10th regnal year.

[​IMG]
    LYDIA, Philadelphia. Caracalla. Æ 31, 16.7 gm, CE 198-217. Ioulianos, strategos. AVT K M AVP ANTΩNЄINOC; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / ЄΠI CTPA IOVΛIANOV A ΠOΛ ΦIΛΑΔЄΛΦЄΩN; horse prancing left surmounted by serpent coiled left. BMC 85. Very rare.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius. Æ drachm (32mm, 23.0 g, 12h); RY 23 (CE 159/60). Laureate bust right, slight drapery / Serapis-Agathodaemon serpent erect right on horseback advancing right; L K Γ (date) across field. Only the K is visible on this coin but this is the only year of issue for the type. Cf. Köln 1852-3; Dattari (Savio) 8939; K&G 35.820; Emmett 1679. Ex X6 Collection.

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Spectacular, TIF!!!

TIF likes this.
  7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

WOW, TIF! Amazing!

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning pick up @Orfew !
    Like @TIF I too slept on the Leu provincials. And since I've posted my snake cowboy recently and a coin from this auction, here is another coin from this auction.
    It's my only Ptolemy I portrait... by Ptolemy II. Despite someone taking a bite out of this cookie the masterful artistry shines through:
    1444.jpg
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285-246 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 28 mm, 13.00 g, 12 h), Sidon, RY 32 = 254/3 BC. Diademed head of Ptolemy I to right, wearing aegis around neck. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt; to left, ΣI above monogram of MT; to right, ΛB. CPE 524. Svoronos 739. Crystallized, double struck and with some edge chipping, otherwise, about extremely fine.

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I've seen that one too @Orfew, and guess what, immediately remembered @TIF's exceptionnal example, which is also an Emmett plate coin.

Good catch !!
    Q

Orfew likes this.
  10. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Fantastic coins!

Now you, @Orfew (and @David Atherton for that matter), are not exactly innocent, either. I somehow can't stop buying Flavians, like this one

3F370447-9EB4-43D1-A45F-661AB1F1AF5E.jpeg

Limes, David Atherton, Bing and 5 others like this.
  11. Orfew

Merci beaucoup mon ami

Cucumbor likes this.
  12. Orfew

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Limes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted