It is about that time to start thinking...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Nov 19, 2020.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

.... about your favorite coins of 2020.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-top-10-index.351239/#post-3920428
    Each year around New Years some of us post a list of the ten favorite new coins we got in the year ending. Thanksgiving is too early to do that BUT it is time of each of us to start tinking about which coins will make our list. Curtisimo really did us all a favor last year when he posted the above link. It makes it easy for those new here to catch up on what their new friends on CT have been up to in the last few years. I hope he updates this again this year. I hope each of you who collect ancients will consider making a post when you are certain that there will be no more coins added in 2020. Some will rank the coins in order of preference but some of you don't like to favor one of our 'children' over another so we just post ten (or so) favorites. All I ask is that modern collectors post their lists in similar threads in the modern sections of Coin Talk and save this section for Ancients and Medievals (it is hard to draw a line sometimes). Start thinking now.

singig, 7Calbrey, CoinCorgi and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I really enjoy reading these posts from my fellow collectors. I've been thinking about my top 10 lately and it's hard to winnow it down!

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I've started my selection. Not a lot of work, as I didn't buy much, and one or two are already obvious contenders.

I had two bids at an auction ending yesterday though, but can't access the results. Should I be lucky I would have at least one fitting the bill for # 2 or maybe 1 this year....

Q

5. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

More than 90% of my ancients were purchased this year! it's gonna be a hard one.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Already have a word document ready to go, but the coin buying isn't completely done yet. Still have two coming today.

7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Knowing the speed of French export permits, I might be waiting on one coin which would be in my top 10 until 2025. Here's to hoping it arrives before the year is out!

8. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to see your list!

AncientJoe likes this.
  9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Fun time of the year! I seem to have learned my lesson from previous years and have been keeping a single document for 2020 open and adding new coins as they arrive.

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I have started collecting ancient coins about 2 months ago. Somehow organized, with some clear goals. I had some (about 15) but nothing interesting. Very worn, very cheap, just my curiosity.
    All my 105 Roman Imperial and provincial coins are already catalogued in my personal files, most of them with pictures (poor pictures, if I didn't have pics from the auction houses and I had to take them ) so my list can be easily done.

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm glad to see interest from both old and new members. We ned to remember this is not a competition (AJ wins) but an opportunity to show, share and educate others on just what is out there to be collected. I won't be buying an EID MAR or an aureus just as I am sure that few of my listed coins will appear on other lists either because they are rare or because most people would classify them as boring beyond belief. I only have my eye on a couple coins that could possibly make the list and am nearing the point in my hobby life when I should not buy anything that does not make the top ten list. Time will tell what the postman brings.

Perhaps Joe exaggerates; perhaps he is being realistic. Right now I could see a numismatic investment being placing a bet on the date of the next major coin show that actually happens. I last attended a show 14 months ago since I last a couple to bad weather last winter. I just hope I can have a top ten for 2021.

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...lQQking 4ward to it, but idk if i bought 10 coins or not:rolleyes:...but it's not over yet! :D

Cucumbor likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really couldn't agree more. I love going through all the favorites lists posted at the end of each year, but especially the ones where we get to hear the thoughts behind why those coins in particular made the cut. Sometimes there's a great story or an opportunity to get further educated, sometimes it's as simple as "I just really liked how it looked!" and we at least get to know that member better. It's all good and I'm already looking forward to the first of the posts!

I'm sorry that you and other members haven't been able to attend coin shows this year. I've always enjoyed your show reports and reveals tremendously. Hopefully 2021 is the year we can all start getting back to a greater degree of normalcy.

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks for linking to that thread Doug. I have actually been actively working on it in preparation for the 2020 posts.

I have managed to track down and link about 80% of the top 10 lists going back to 2013. I should be finished updating that part in the next day or two.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Ryro, Justin Lee, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  15. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I hope coins with no huge market value will be accepted in the "contest" - I am joking, I know this is not a contest at all.
    I haven't decided on my Top 10 but I am sure many members already have these coins in their collections, most likely in better condition.
    I think what matters is what makes a coin or some coins our personal favorites.

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You nailed it !
    Fortunately, we don't all have the same interests and focusses : numismatics would be boring....and expensive !

Q

Justin Lee, ominus1 and ambr0zie like this.
  17. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Good time to think about top 2020 coins.
    I may need to do some "last minute shopping" though. :happy:

18. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

*Looks up 2020 goals, sees that I planned to limit purchases and spend more time organizing and downsizing*

*Looks through 2020 invoices*

2h8zaa.jpg

Better luck next year?

Orange Julius, Ryro, JayAg47 and 8 others like this.
  19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks for all the work you do @Curtisimo! I actually began writing up a ‘CoinTalk Top 10’ history last year since this is my favorite time of the year on the forum. However, your index has done much more than I thought to do!

20. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I'd love to jump on the list wagon again. I really enjoyed making a list last year, and perhaps even more enjoyed reading the lists of other members.

21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's not a contest. It's not about monetary value. It's about the joy of adding to your collection.

AncientJoe, DonnaML and thejewk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted