Featured It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that sling. And other coins of Macedon's war with Rome

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I toss out my Philip V and Perseus

Perseus and Philip V of Makedon

[​IMG]
    Makedon Philip V AE17 3.7g 221-179 BCE Perseus Hd R helmet w winged vulture - Horse rearing R SNG Cop 1239

[​IMG]
    Makedon Perseus 178-168 BC AE 23 Poseidon Club

[​IMG]
    Makedon Amphipolis Philip V - Perseus - lost empire to Romans - helmet Tetrobol

TJC, ancientone, Bing and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

This thread helped me decide one of my newest acquisitions. @TIF posted two of the same type that are far more beautiful than my example. I choose this one because of the Jade Green Patina, the details are lacking but the price was right.
    k4.jpg

Dealers notes bellow.

Macedon under Roman rule, ca. 166-165 BC, bronze unit, 24mm, 12.09g

Obverse: Facing mask of Silenos, wearing ivy wreath

Reverse: Greek legend MAKE/DONON in two lines, Latin 'D' above, all within oak wreath

Reference: Drag 815; Cop 1324-6; MacKay pl. III, 10; Tour 25

Grading: F , jade green patina, some scratches and brown earthen highlights, scarce

Comment: An interesting and scarce type on a substantial flan. Its traditionally attribution was to the time of praetor D. Junius Silanus Manlianus (148-147 BC) - perhaps indicating a pun in the choice of obverse design - but more recent scholarship, based in part on hoard evidence, has apparently abandoned it in favor of the earlier dating given above. Draganov's 2001 catalog on royal Macedonian issues esentially ends with the Roman province series, and confirms this revised dating, further referencing MacKay. The 'D' on the rev. top stands for 'Decreto', presumably signifying the Senate's authorization of the recoining or overstriking of earlier Roma issues under the two quaestors. It is conjectured that in the broader wake of the Roman victory at Pydna, with barbarian incursions and other turmoil, the Senate's idea was to stress the "freedom and independence" of the four newly formed Macedonian administrative units ('merides'), by stripping the more explicit references to Roman overlordship evident on the first issues in the immediate aftermath of Pydna (governorship by consul Aemilius Paullus and the quaestors) and replace them with more acceptable types stressing locally recognizable themes and legends.

TJC, ancientone, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

PerseusTetradrachm.jpg
    KINGS of MACEDON. Perseus. 179-168 BC. AR Attic Tetradrachm (30mm; 17.22 gm; 12h). Pella or Amphipolis mint; Ay-, magistrate. Struck circa 173-171 BC. Obv: Diademed head right. Rev: BAΣI-ΛEΩS ΠEΡ-ΣEΩS, eagle standing right, wings spread, on thunderbolt; mintmaster's monogram above, control marks to right (HP monogram) and between legs (AN); all within oak wreath, plow below. Mamroth, Perseus 15; SNG München__; SNG Alpha Bank__; SNG Saroglos__; Jameson 1013; Weber 2220; McClean 3675.

TJC, ancientone, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A bronze:
    PhilipVThunderbolt2.jpg
    KINGS of MACEDON. Philip V. 221-179 BC. Æ (24mm, 12.08 gm, 11h). Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 188/7-179 BC. Obv: Radiate head of Helios right. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ, winged thunderbolt; monogram above and two monograms below; all within wreath. SNG Alpha Bank 1113 var. (lower monograms).

TJC, ancientone, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, @PeteB !

Ryro likes this.
  7. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Nice additions Ryro! That Dart sling is cool.

Instigator Philip V. w/ unrecorded Medusa on shield.
    Clipboard5~0.jpg Macedonian Kings, Philip V. Bronze AE17. Aegis shield. Macedonian Kingdom, Philip V, 221 - 179 B.C. Bronze AE 17, obverse laureate head of Zeus right; reverse B-A / Φ, Athena Alkidemos standing right, brandishing javelin in right, aegis in left hand with head of medusa, dolphin lower right. SNG Cop 1244-1246var.

aegis3.jpg
    "It's a rendering of the Classical (not the traditional Archaic) more romantic Medusa. For the type see the Rondanini Medusa in the Glyptothek in Munich. Considering that it's a detail of a 15mm coin, it's remarkably good, even suggesting the foreshortened knotted snakes that frame her chin. All other things being equal, a Medusa gorgoneion is Athena's most usual episematic device, since it belongs to the aegis. Actually, it needn't be specifically the Medusa of the Perseus myth, but a lot of books call any gorgon 'Medusa'."
    -Pat Lawrence

Alegandron, BenSi, TJC and 5 others like this.
  8. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Cool OP coin and post!! Sling darts, wow, never heard of them. Very cool! I will be on the look fro this coin type.
    I do have a Mecadonian coin, but I do have a a Roman coin with Persius on the reverse.
    AemiliusLepidusPaullusOx339.jpg AemiliusLepidusPaulusRx339.jpg
    L. Aemilius Lepidus Paullus AR Denarius
    Rome mint, struck 62 BC
    Obv. Veiled and diademed head of Concordia right.
    Rev. Trophy; to left, three captives (King Perseus of Macedon and his two sons) standing right; to right, Paullus standing left.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Bing, PeteB, Ryro and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted