Issue with Ebay return

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by buddy16cat, May 5, 2015.

1. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

i had an issue with these coins I bought here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-large-ol...DFBnlrHpJIYgvWLwNPhjw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Of course I noticed the 1908-S in the lot, but did notice the hole. Of course it wasn't an 1908-S not even a remnant of an "S". The only coin in the lot I was interested in. So I requested to return them and it said to ship them back so I did. The seller apologized and said that they would issue me a full refund when they get them. They then escalated to support and they found in their favor and no refund would be issued. Problem is I already shipped them back. Are my out the coins and my money now? I don't understand why the seller escalated to support when he already said he would issue me a full refund?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

As long as you got the email from the seller telling you a refund will be issued once you sent them back, you should be all good. You sent it back with tracking I assume?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's only been a few days. Are you sure the seller has received it back?

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Pick up you phone and CALL eBay!

6. buddy16cat

I just called Ebay. They closed the case out in error too soon thinking it was a case of buyer's remorse but wasn't. Since the seller has hassle free returns, I was immediately given a shipping label. I have no clue why the seller escalated to support, he said he didn't want no problems. I actually didn't think it was a big deal, just return them. I am clueless though why he escalated to support. The coins just went out Monday. Dropped it off on Friday but the post office was only opened a half an hour.

7. merrill01

merrill01 Member

8. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

Not only PayPal fees, but also eBay's Final Value Fees. That's how the seller gets eBay to refund what they charged him.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

First off, PayPal only charges 3% (+35¢) for each transaction. Secondly, so long as you refund via PayPal, you get 100% of you fees back.

gbroke likes this.
  10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Press the issue to make sure you get your refund in full, but always go through eBay so there is, what you would call, a paper history of your conversation with the buyer. In this case your reason for the case would have been, "Item not as described". This would have immediately gone to the seller. Then contact the seller with the request for return. I'm just curious as to why eBay closed the case as quickly as they did using the reason 'buyer remorse' without contacting you first, very odd.

11. buddy16cat

The support agent said they did it in error. I don't even understand the "buyer remorse". I could easily sell of the coins in the book. I have good feedback. The 1867 and 1908-S is the reason for the purchase, since I do not have those dates in my own book.

12. love coins

love coins Junior Member

I would try and contact ebay one more time and I would contact paypal as well to see if either can work with you to get your money back. I would also send seller message that you expect a refund credited back to your paypal account once he receives the coins back. Sounds to me like the seller does shady business.

13. buddy16cat

Yes, I agree I am starting to think this is a shady seller and may need to leave appropriate feedback. I don't get that he escalated the case after the package showed tracking. I also don't think it is appropriate for the seller to call people "losers" because they left him negative feedback. Also when you give a refund, fees are returned and it doesn't matter about the hold on funds since he would be refunding that anyhow.

14. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

PayPal charges a percentage for refunds

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is apparently just your PayPal. They have refunded my fees for every refund I have made.

16. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

If I give a refund they charge me

17. buddy16cat

Really? I thought you get refunded everything when you issue a refunded. I have issued refunds myself when I screw up on a listing or something and the fees are refunded too. Now if the buyer doesn't pay, you have to open up an unpaid item case to get your fees refunded. You can send a cancellation request to them but in my experience, they generally ignore them. You may have issued a refund incorrectly and got charged fees.

18. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

I have issued a refund with paypal and was all ways charged if some one paid ebay no charge but paypal
    Most were part of a refund on postage cost they would pay and then as for a discount. Sold 235 tokens last night the same buyer he started paying them at $3.00 shipping on each one then asked for a discount gave a discount and added the ebay and paypal cost had to

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is apparently just your PayPal. They have refunded my fees for every refund I have made.
    Oh, and I refund for discounted shipping all the time and they refund my PayPal fees each time. They word it weird, but if you read it closely, if you send a $2 refund, they take $1.94 from your account and $.06 from their fees.

20. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

They make money every way

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

And I have never been chugged anything for any refund I have received. Are you sure you are dealing with PayPal?

Draft saved Draft deleted