Issue with buyer... What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Obone, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I understand but that hasn't always been my experience as a postal manager.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Customs and postal agencies are completely different especially taking about international ones. Customs can essentially do whatever they want with things. I've lived abroad and while possible they just destroy something have yet to see something where they didn't just kick it back as that isn't their problem unless it was an illegal shipment

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As a postal manager I had to deal with several countries acting on behalf of my customers. They wanted the package returned. I stated what I personally dealt with and I was about 70% successful in having the item returned. It all dealt with what country and their laws.

I also dealt personally, face to face, with custom officials in Canada. Some of the US employees were the worse. I could tell you horror stories but 3 weeks later I was proven right.

masterswimmer likes this.
  5. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I completely understand both sides of, no pun intended, the coin. You, as the seller, did everything right. It is not your fault about the custom fees. The buyer can NOT demand what he is asking, albeit he is frustrated and wants justice!!! Sorry got a little crazy there. The problem to me is the custom fees. Let me tell you a similar story; My wife's brother recently had a baby (he's name is George) and we decided to send him about 5-6 presents from America and sent them to Greece. Now when the package finally arrived the custom wanted $100 Euros just to take the package. I was like WHAT!!!

This practice started about 4 years ago and I think it is high-way robbery. My wife stated that we won't be doing this anymore and we will just transfer money to our family in Greece via PayPal. Amazingly enough, my wife stated that was something our President Trump started. I don't think she is correct on this, as how can our President impose taxes on another sovereign nation. I personally think that the corruption in Greece is alarming and since Greece is slowly coming out of its 15-year recession people are just basically greedy. There is a lot of services that deals in Black money (a term commonly used in Greece to describe paying for Doctor's visits, car repair, medicine, dental services under the table).

I just can not imagine having to pay for something sent to you as a gift or anything else for that matter. Greed is so prevalent it is getting out of hand. Sorry for what is happening to you and I feel your pain brother. I would initiate an E-bay claim or resolution to have a third-party monitor this ongoing dilemma. Peace.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

If this is actually a Customs house, I believe most will return the item to the sender after a certain amount of time. I returned a $100 item to Lithuania (purchase from a company in US, but factory was in Lithuania) and after only two weeks, I received it back saying it wasn't claimed. I was given the refund, so assumed it was cheaper for the company to let it go than pay the custom fees. If this is the case for your coin, I would tell the buyer that when the coin was returned, his purchase fee would be refunded.

7. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Makes sense. In this case I don't believe the buyer even wants to pickup the coin. He needs to pay 26 pounds to pick it up, the coin only cost 22. It doesn't look like customs is sending it back either. A shame, if I was the buyer I'd just pick it up. Sort of as a respect to the hobby if nothing else. It was a nice 1720 farthing :(

Bayern likes this.
  8. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

Is "Return to Sender" an option with whomever is holding the coin? If so, get the coin back and undo the sale. You might also refuse to accept bids to be delivered to that country.

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

If it is ebay or similar venue, I would work through them and contact state agencies for remedies.

Here in the US ebay started charging state taxes even when many numismatic items are exempt. I contacted the state agency and they said to work through ebay as for the state tax agency to audit ebay or other sales venue would just take too long so they rely on the sales entity.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The initial post literally said an international facebook sale...........................

Owle likes this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Solution 1- Buy in your own country. Solution 2- Sell in your own country. Solution 3- pay in your own country. WALLA

12. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

No way. Not my problem. Unless I receive coin back in original holder no refund.

Hopefully he will learn from his tuition lol.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I had a similar issue when I sent a dozen specially monogrammed Titleist golf balls to a friend in GB. I had never shipped anything there before and, much to surprise, my friend had to pay more than the value of the golf balls to pick them up.

I was summarily chastised for my ignorance of British law. Apparently, when you ship anything to GB, you need to mark it as a "gift". That way it will sail through customs with no charge.

In my case, it was a gift. You should do what you feel is right.

14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

this is why, (with few exceptions) i refuse to ship international..insurance and actually getting items to the customers without foreign postal service sticky fingering them, lol.

15. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

If it's to the UK from outside the EU, I believe you only pay anything for VAT if it's worth over £15 (5% I think), and import duty if it's worth over £135 (some mysterious % depending on what it is, but seems to be around 5%, depending on the exchange rate used).

The VAT is charged on the total value including shipping and duty. But even if the coin was £20 and the shipping £40, the VAT is 5% so would only be £3.

Most annoyingly, on top of that, you might have to pay a handling charge, when the parcel is given to the courier/postal company to collect the tax. This seems to be a flat £8 or £12. So that's where you could end up paying more in fees than the coin is worth. I've had to pay £9.36 for a £1.36 tax before. But you wouldn't ever pay £26 duty on a £20 coin, so presumably it isn't to the UK!

If I remember correctly, the letter demanding the charges states it will be returned to sender if not paid.

16. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Actually this post reminded me of a custom duty I had to pay a while back. It is slightly unusual and let me explain.

I bought a mint set many years back. Believe that anything over $1000 was slapped with import tax. The item was only $300.

Paid for the set and postage and had a message later from the seller that he under charged me for shipping and said he would charge me for it. I said that it is not an issue after I receive the set and check it out.

Problem is when I received it, I was slapped with an absurd import tax fee and I couldn't understand why. Turns out the seller wrote $1000 and said that if it did get lost, he could at least claim it back.

I had to pay 10% tax (if I recall correctly) and that we settle not claiming on the loss he had to pay for shipping.

Thankfully today that set is worth way more what I paid since then.

John Conduitt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted