Israel and Japan, 2 interesting

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by byrd740, Aug 22, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

pieces. The Israel coin(?) has no date. Also it is aluminium and is 17mm. The Japanese medal, I have no clue. Looking at the pics below, is all I know. Any more info than what is below is very much appreciated. I am interested in the Israeli coin(?) more than anything. Sorry about being vague, but I know absolutely nothing about the medal(and/or coin) in question. Sorry that the scans are so big, didn't realize it until I already put them on photobucket. I am too lazy to resize them. Sorry :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Zohar may be able to help you out with the Israeli coin. He has a nice collection of them. Send him a PM and ask him to give a look at it.

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Hadn't thought about it, thanks! Will do!

5. LSM

LSM Collector

byrd, I would ask hontonai about the Japanese medal.

Lou

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The information you posted about the Japanese medal is pretty self explanatory, if you realize that the Ryukyu islands, including Okinawa - were occupied by the US military as a separate entity from Japan, although they had historically been part of that country.

US occupation of Japan ended in the early 1950s, but the Ryukyu remained occupied territory for close to 20 years. Finally, in 1972, the occupation terminated, although US troops (mainly Air Force and Marines) remained under a Status of Forces Agreement. The Ryukyu government which authorized this medal soon vanished, as Okinawa was incorporated into Japan as its 47th Province.

7. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Hi guys,
    Seems like a token with 1 Agora base, stating "Shalom" (peace, hello, goodbye) in place of where the Hebrew date is generally located. I have not seen such token before yet maybe it was created around 1978-9 when peace with Egypt was achived.

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Wondering if the reverse of the Okinowa coin is Shuri Castle? Traci :eek:

9. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Not the castle - the Shureimon Gate on the castle grounds.

(Wikipedia actually gets it right sometimes.)

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Thanks Honto. :eek: Traci

11. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

looks a little like an old sheckal? idn all it says is Israel, and Shalom (as explained earlier)

12. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Agora, this is prior to the Sheqel introduction.

Draft saved Draft deleted