Isn't this Mechanical Doubling??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by lincolnhoardr, Sep 28, 2009.

1. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

sure looks like (MD) to me. I find alot like this too. Also why would they put a picture up sideways?? makes you really think something is up when they do that.

4. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

Someone is about to waste $28+ on a garbage MD penny...

5. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Plating shift doubling.

Richard

6. jcuve

I mean no disrespect when I ask this, but where can I read about this phenomena discussed "Plating shift doubling?" Mike Diamond claimed in another thread there was no such animal. I haven't heard of it and when I googled the term all the links pointed to CoinTalk threads. I am willing to entertain it, but would like a link or a book that details the hypothesis/theory with some evidence (if possible) so I can understand it better.

Looking at the auction earlier I was on the fence as to whether it was machine doubling or die deterioration doubling as the lighting was catching so strongly on the doubled area in the seller's blurry photograph. I could be wrong and it could be this "Plating shift doubling," can someone elaborate?

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have not heard of this plating shift doubling. I would call this a rather extreme case of MDD.

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

9. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

10. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

p.s. you can click the pictures on Ken's website and get an awesome example of each type of Doubling in large view. Both collectible and non-collectible.

Longacre's Doubling, Flat Field Doubling, Polish/Abrasion Doubling, Ejection Doubling, Plating Split Doubling... oh my! :bigeyes:

11. jcuve

Plating Split Doubling is different than what we see here, it is when the plating is pulled back and splits giving the appearance of doubling from the exposed zinc.

12. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Of course it is sellers of doublED dies on eBay are the

Of course it is sellers of doublED dies on eBay are the worst. They do not know what they are doing - some times I get my back up about it and go in there and start calling them on their stuff which while fun for a time does nothing to stop these people.
    Hint, I search for the phrase "double" die instead of the only correct "doublED die" - no true die variety expert will ever use any other phrase than doublED die. So 75% of the folks on there that are listing stuff as "double die" really have no idea what one is.

13. jcuve

Plating Split Doubling 1992D; black lines show exposed zinc (white lines show MD on the bottom of the D and the 2):

[​IMG]

14. just coins

just coins New Member

There's no such term as plate shift doubling it does't exsist.The ebay coin is Die deterioration doubling not plating split doubling.
    JC

15. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

the auction is now up to 36.55 ..... yikes

16. jcuve

Anything is possible. I have seen a few machine doubled coins go for just over $200. Deceptive/unknowledgeable sellers plus ignorant buyers equals trouble.

17. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

18. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I just listed a 55 pmdd, but I called it a 'double die', because as a seller I want the most buyers to find my auction. If i listed it correctly, less people would find it.

19. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Yikers $36.55 so far for this Die deteriation junker ! Thanks im still learning :hatch:

20. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

wow, it ended at 42.14

21. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

You did not list it correct you readily admit you did it ti attract

You did not list it correct you readily admit you did it to attract people.
    You listed it to fool new people who might think this is a doublED die because they do not know yet that your listing, wording (double die) in reality means nothing at all. In one way that's correct because you are selling "nothing at all" except a coin struck from worn out and overpolished dies.
    You are cheating, your are decieving people and you should change you listing to 1955-P with doubling of the last "5"" sometimes referred to as a "poor mans doubled die" and nobody really cares at all.
    No one needs to find this auction because it is a piece of junk it's just an old worn out wheat cent worth 2 cents on the wholesale market.
    You should remove that auction and refrain from putting up any others like it - you are decieving and cheating.

Draft saved Draft deleted