Island of Yap Money?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

I've been flooding this forum the last few days with inquiries. Sorry if it's getting annoying. This will be my last one for a bit. So I found this in my stepdad's collection. He has one more and another very VERY large one. I assume that this may be currency from the Island of Yap which I believe can be quite valuable but I am not sure what something like this might be worth....or if it is in fact currency from the Yap. Anyone out there familiar with Yap money and if this is in fact legit? My dad was a coin dealer and had a ton of very unusual stuff.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

I'm no expert, but a quick Google search wielded results. Yap money is GIANT, sometimes being over 6 feet in diameter. I didn't see any that small, so I don't know.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

They are just a little bit bigger

Stone Money-64.jpg

5. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Yes I've done the same research. I have a feeling the stuff online isn't the only example of YAP money. I know what I have is some form of currency.

6. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

I wasn't doubting it, I just hadn't seen one like it.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

8. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I bet many immediately asked for change of a hundred, so not to have to lug that monster around all day.

9. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

My first intuition is that these are spinning whorls, stone weights that were used when raw wool was spun by hand into thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted