Islamic gold coin id ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Patmac, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Hi there , I’ve got a probably very old gold Islamic coin , 1 gram , 16 mm and thin .ive looked and looked to find some info about it with no luck so far . Does anyone here recognise it ? Many thanks , Patrick .

Attached Files:

panzerman and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Very bad calligraphy, strange surfaces.. I very much doubt this is genuine.

4. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Ummmm ! Interesting , thanks for that

5. Patmac

Patmac New Member

A little more info ..... it was found in the sea with a few other coins kicking about ... anon follis etc etc so can probably vouch that it’s not a modern fake ,, maybe an old knock off .... I don’t know ?

6. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

I have no experience with them but believe that some Norman/Crusader states issued coinage imitating the more regionally common Islamic issues, I'd check that out if you're certain it's genuine.

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Doesn't even look like Arabic Calligraphy to me. Most likely a crusader state imitation like @Plumbata said above.

8. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Thankyou plumbata and 1934 ...! I’ll check that lead out

9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hope the following lot might help to compare. Those 8 Islamic gold coins were offered to me for sale. I couldn't afford any of them, let alone the price of gold. So I said I'd share them among my coin-friends. Hope I'm doing right.
    Isgoldo.JPG Isgold R.JPG

Curtisimo, Alegandron and spirityoda like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

That biggest 1 is a fatimid. 1 I would like down the road.

7Calbrey likes this.
  11. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Thankyou 7calbrey !

7Calbrey likes this.
  12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

The guys at zeno.ru could probably help ID that one.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Those coins are rare and in great condition. I know that largest 1 gets good money $1,000-2,500

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Thankyou coin nut , I’m looking around there now !

15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Found in the sea where? This might help narrow things down

16. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

To narrow things down even a bit more:
    This coin is likely meant to imitate a Fatimid quarter dinar in the name of al-Qa'im bi-Amr Allah. I can only recognize this on your coin because i know what the text is supposed to read. Large part of the legend in your coin is actually unreadable and terrible Arabic calligraphy. That's not changed by any provenance or findspot people have made you believe.

7Calbrey likes this.
  17. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Hi fitznigel , to narrow it down , I found it in approx 1 meter depth of water within 20 meters of a long lost , now submarine remains of what was a medieval jetty / harbour in the northern part of the gulf of Korinthos (Corinth) in what is now Greece .... I should have been a little more specific ... maybe this can help.

And to thcoins , Thankyou.... I’ll have a look at an original Fatimid 1/4 dinar ,,, this has been a tricky one to pin down .....

18. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Well done THCoins !! .... the plot thickens... you amazingly led me to an eBay sale of an identical coin with your knowledge/ intuition. No disrespect to the seller but I think your hunch is correct ? What’s your thoughts , kind regards , pat ........ couple of screen shots coming up if I can

19. Patmac

Patmac New Member

View attachment 1009029 View attachment 1009030 View attachment 1009031 Well done THCoins !! .... the plot thickens... you amazingly led me to an eBay sale of an identical coin with your knowledge/ intuition. No disrespect to the seller but I think your hunch is correct ? What’s your thoughts , kind regards , pat ........ couple of screen shots coming up if I can

20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I recently had the experience of a seller on ebay selling multiple identical copies of 300 year old Indian coins. After I bought 2 different ones, the ads remained in place. Then the seller had the gall to refuse to admit that they were fakes. I did get my refund though. Beware of some of those Indian coin sellers.

21. Patmac

Patmac New Member

Buyer beware! And all that stuff ..... thank you ! Although , because of this ones provenance ( I found it in the sea with a few other coins of similar age ) it’s not a modern rip off .... thank you..

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted