ISIS is destroying ancient artifacts

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

WHY? I'm sorry, but I just don't get the mentality. Even the insane can appreciate antiquities and their beauty.

Codera likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

So sad. How can the world combat such insanity?

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

6. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Yup, they've been doing that for a while now... :shifty:

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

This makes me sick.

Codera and Aidan_() like this.
  8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Often, putting in place your ideology requires destroying the previous ones. These people are fanatics, bent on the total destruction of existing civilization.

9. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

image.jpg This pic has been trending twitter for a while. I really started to cry when I saw this pic

10. Bing

I know their logic, but again I ask why? Are they so ignorant? Do they have no sense of history? I can ask questions which I fear have no answers. It looks like the images I've seen of the night the Nazi's burned all the books with which they didn't agree. So sad.

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Fear of the Other.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sadly, EVERY civilization has done this at some point, including us. The Puritans who first came here called the indigenous Indians savages and destroyed their artifacts also, including totems using their religion as an excuse for imposing their own on them. So too the Spanish, French and English. It's awfully hard to be tolerant when one sees this happening. Before we can help others we must first help ourselves.

billy b and Volante like this.
  13. Pere

Pere Active Member

In this case they are destroying relics of ancient Assyria... Mesopotamian polytheism has not really been a player in the Abrahamic fighting...

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Conan the Barbarian must be rolling in his grave.

15. John Anthony

You're looking for an erudite explanation of thuggery? It doesn't matter whose descendents they are. They are a gang. They are no different than the gangs we have in our inner cities. They are motivated by fear and attempt to rule by fear.

tommyc03 and furham like this.
  16. John Anthony

Collectors of ancient coins and all lovers of history and archaeology have one thing in common: we revel in ideas, whether we agree with them or not. We are the quintessential multiculturalists. That's why we find it incomprehensible that someone should destroy their own cultural heritage.

But Tommy is right - they are not so different from us. I don't say that to condone their actions in any way, but if we merely look upon their actions with condemnation, we've missed an important lesson for ourselves.

We don't even need to go back in time to see the paranoia in our own thinking. The NSA is spying on everyone and the police have run amok. We are a paranoid species, driven by fear of the Other. Our survival depends on transcending that paranoia, but I'm not at all certain we will succeed. In fact, I doubt it.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The reports about what those IS "fighters" have done or are doing to those objects are saddening. (And what they do in other regards is even worse.) Problem is, what if soldiers invade, in the name of freedom, a country and steal lots of ancient objects, or if the locals do the same thing in such a phase? They will do it for the money, sure, so they are unlikely to destroy what they stole, but the objects are still not public any more. Another question is, who gets to decide whether cultural heritage can be "exported"? The Moroccan government, just as an example, is unlike to OK such measures, Morocco is politically quite stable. Now of course the latter may change, but is it really legitimate to say that - because the situation may become troublesome one day - exports should now be allowed?

Christian

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  18. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I live in Michigan, When I was a teenager, me and some of my friends went to the DIA ( Detroit Institute Of Arts ) to see king Tutankhamun, or king tut, along some other mummies, now, after Egypt wanted all of the artifacts back from around the world, we all miss out on the history.... And we all know what happen in the up-rise of Egypt...

19. Bing

Maybe I am over-simplifying, but to me what is happening in the Middle East today is pure evil including the destruction of artifacts. But, then again, I am a simple man.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Rick Stachowski

Not much different then Egypt, then destroyed lots of their artifacts there too....

21. Rick Stachowski

Its the youth gone wild ..

Draft saved Draft deleted