ISIS announces new currency

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Nov 13, 2014.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

From CNN:

ISIS is planning to mint its own currency in gold, silver and copper, the group said Thursday.

Its aim is to stay away from the "tyrant's financial system," ISIS said in a statement. It said it would issue another statement to explain the new currency's exchange rate, and where it can be found.

The currency will include seven coins: two gold, three silver and two copper.

The move is "purely dedicated to God" and will remove Muslims from the "global economic system that is based on satanic usury," ISIS said.

The group, which calls itself the Islamic State, has seized large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria.

It seeks to establish an Islamic caliphate in the region

Been done before:

[​IMG]

Umayyad Caliphate Abd al-Malik AE Follis Standing Caliph
    Obverse: Caliph standing facing, left hand on sheathed sword
    Reverse: Steps, long pole in circle
    Bronze, 20mm, 2.81gm, Struck AD 685 to 705

:)

Daniel B, stevex6 and silentnviolent like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

LINK

Wonder how many dealers will be running over there or sending the homeless to get them some coins for early release certified designations? So far I see no eBay pre-sales. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I do not condemn coins for the rulers who struck them, but I would condemn collectors or dealers who support ISIS by buying any such items. Not that it matters, but my opinion of anyone who would support ISIS by purchasing any such coins will go immediately to zero or lower. Any dealer who dares buys from them I guarantee will never see one cent in sales to me EVER, and I will slander their name to the mountains.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

No doubt the Treasury Dept will add them to the list of prohibited items, like DPR Korea, Cuba, Iran etc.

[​IMG]

Daniel B and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

"The horror, the horror...kill all the brutes.." J. Conrad.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Like the common person who lives there will ever see a gold coin . Sounds like a scheme to raise money for their murderous ways .

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Heart of Darkness. Few people I speak to actually enjoyed the novel. I found it wonderful.

Galen59 likes this.
  9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

My question is how much blood is going to be involved in the production of these coins. Are gold coins going to be made from gold filings / dentures?

As gruesome as it may sound - this has happened before in history.

Alacornbread and Galen59 like this.
  10. StashTreasure

StashTreasure Never pass up silver or gold.

I imagine they have a nice pile of gold bullion from looting Iraqi cities earlier this year.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I bet more are stolen by the higher officials than they sell.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

There will probably be a rush to buy them just like there was the dinar 5 years or so ago. People don't think.

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

ISIS is making money better than most recognized countries are, selling looted oil, taxing bank withdrawals, taxing roads etc. I just fear that they are going to give the US government ideas.

geekpryde likes this.
  14. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Finally, a break. Going to get these for face value when ISIS folks arrive into my town.

geekpryde likes this.
  15. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Couldn't say it better myself.

Bruce

Alacornbread and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'll order one... And mail them a check... With a little gift in the package...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415928102.061183.jpg

17. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

The N-Bomb is so old though. I can only imagine what kind of weapons they have now! Hopefully these guys find out!

18. krispy

krispy krispy

I should hope it never comes to the use of such weapons, and it's bad enough there are such terrible and terribly effective (less?) lethal ones so regularly in use in the world at any given time anymore. However, I do understand the severity of the threat and it's not easy to just say "no" to such war. One of the ideological problems with these fellows and all their provoking and poking the bears (the west) is that they are essentially a cult of death and so would all too readily welcome overwhelming force and the chance (excuse) to fight and earn their deaths. They want death and they want others to suffer it too. It may be more effective to deprive them of this. Perhaps.

19. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone wants to find out ever. the people who only created these weapons have a relative guess upon the phenomenon that would take place. it could reap destruction across an entire continent for all we know. I think it is best that we never find out.
    With that aside I think we need more weapons of mass creation instead of weapons of mass destruction.

As for this new currency I do think that a currency based upon precious metals is a good idea and should be adopted more so than paper money but I do question what the motives the islamic state has for creating such a currency. Most importantly where are they going to get the precious metals from? iraq,syria, and Afghanistan don't have the mining infrastructure to support such a thing. I wonder how this will all pan out.

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Presious metals will never work as a currency anymore , there's just too many people and the economies are too large . Look at our Zincoln , it costs more to produce than it's worth . Now try that with gold and silver coins in a world with Trillion dollar economies . There's just too many coins in circulation . And not enough gold to back it .

jello likes this.
  21. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Attempting to circulate precious metals is a wide open invitation for counterfeiters to test their skills to make profit.

BigTee44 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted