Is this worth getting slabbed?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Submit this to a grading company for slabbing?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2018.
  1. Yes. I would definitely submit it to be slabbed

64.0%
  2. Yes. But not to PCGS (please tell me who instead and why).

8.0%
  3. No. I would NOT send it in to be slabbed to any grading company.

32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

That was my first thought, ZINC ROT. Yikes! VerdiCare is what I would conserve that cent with. You don’t want this:
    ACEEEBD9-437C-4595-8363-EB98ECFE19CC.jpeg
    Reed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

NGC, PCGS and ANACS do not have error and damaged coins as their specialty. CONECA does. CONECA attributions for error coins can not be overturned by the three I mentioned. They also charge less so why would anyone prefer the other three for error coins? If this coin came out of the mint looking like that they will
    say so. If it is post mint damage they will say so.

Cheech9712 and 352sdeer like this.
  4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Thanks for the angles. Would you submit it, Mr. Bellman? I am thinking based on your answer that you would. I dont plan on selling them for at least another 18-20 years.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Coneca is a variety company .
    Any of the major grading company can do a error and doesn't need to ever, go to Coneca ..

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

If it were mine, and I don't frankly see how I'd ever acquire such a piece, but let's just say. I would send it to NGC because they are where I send everything I get slabbed anymore. I've done ANACS, and ICG, and even dabbled with PCGS. I just prefer NGC, particularly in this case since you're not planning on moving it anytime soon.

Seattlite86, Stork and JCro57 like this.
  7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

General question > At what point in the minting, transportation, wrapping and distribution process do broad-struck coins 'fall out' of the normal population ? - the coins are apparently shipped to the Fed Reserve in bulk bags for further wrapping and distribution to requesting banks - it seems that eventually an automated coin wrapping machine would detect and reject 'abnormal' coinage, but how do those error pieces get into the hands of collectors ?

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Can of worms. Here we go! Calling @Fred Weinberg . I think you'd want a copy of Fred's "Contacts" database, jus' sayin'.

juris klavins likes this.
  9. JCro57

Here are what the other 3 look like.

On the reverse of the broadstruck dime, instead of "ONE" it reads "ONF". It just barely fits in a nickel holder.

The broadstruck nickel is off center slightly and full steps, the rim is messed up, and on the bottom of the reverse, all the letters that should be an "E" are an "F". (Example: UNITFD STATFS"). It barely fits in a quarter holder.

And the Quarter, with doubling similar to the lincoln on the face and a messed up rim with the reed stamped into the flats, has a reverse where instead of "QUARTER" it reads "QUARTFR" and "DOLLAR" reads "DOIIAR". It is also missing the letter I and reads "N god we trust"

Just not sure if they should ALL be sent in, though being all slabbed with consecutive serial numbers would be very cool.

Attached Files:

10. V. Kurt Bellman

By the way, in the 3rd Federal Reserve district (I can't speak to the others) the N. F. String Company that makes coin rolling machines also DOES the rolling themselves, for the Federal Reserve Bank in Philly, under contract. Were I so inclined, I could get up from where I now sit and walk there within 15 minutes. It is literally next door to my polling place where I vote.

juris klavins likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It does need to be in something to protect it from degradation. If I were to send it in for slabbing, in order to keep the cost down I would NOT submit it under their Mint Error tier. OK so they don't put "mint error" on the label and they don't identify the type of error, who cares. This coin speaks for itself. You really don't need the TPG to tell you it is a broadstrike. If you DO need them to tell you what it is, you probably shouldn't be buying error coins.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

And that's quite remarkable, because USUALLY you have to READ the stuff on it, right? :hilarious: Does it sit up and beg, too, or maybe roll over? ;):D:D:D "Woof! Woof!"

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. JCro57

Have you had a bad experience with PCGS, or is it their costs, or perhaps their grading, or you know people very closely and personally at NGC? Just curious here.

14. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

They make some pretty big holders. If being airtight is the biggest goal (I'm guessing this could be a yes because of the zinc) then maybe it doesn't matter so much about fitting the diameter as it does the thickness.

https://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_capsule_measurements.htm#.WmJ9W5M-eb8

15. V. Kurt Bellman

@JCro57 , It's mostly your third supposition. I was looking for a service to get serious about, and talked to both PCGS and NGC people at an ANA show. PCGS acted like they were god's gift to the hobby, and NGC treated me with welcoming respect. It WAS my first ANA show at which I spoke, giving what's now called a "Money Talk". PCGS' attitude just bugged me all to heck and frankly, it still does. NGC's people who travel to shows actually REMEMBER YOUR NAME. People skills.

paddyman98, JCro57 and wxcoin like this.
  16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

That might even make an example in all coin books nation wide

JCro57 likes this.
  17. Cheech9712

Now thats a smart andwer too. Thinking man. I like that

18. Cheech9712

I would ask paddy. Imo he's the go to guy. He probably would enjoy this coin

19. Cheech9712

Now thats a collector

Collecting Nut likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Yeah i agree. Bet i could trip over that coin. Makes no cents

21. Cheech9712

Yeah send them in. Love that quarter

JCro57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted