Is this worth anything

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mike F, May 18, 2021.

1. Mike F

Mike F New Member

Screenshot_20210517-180025.png This 2001 New York State Quarter seems to have several errors on both sides. Can anyone tell me if I've got something good here?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged
    Worth? Still 25 Cents

Oh.. And welcome to CoinTalk!

VistaCruiser69 and GH#75 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @Mike F ! Those images aren't clear enough, and you have to be more specific about what you think you see. The problem most newcomers to the hobby have is that they think every little ding was caused by the Mint when they are usually caused while in circulation. This NY SQ has been in circulation for 20 years.

5. Mike F

Mike F New Member

Okay thank you I will try to upload better photos. What I'm seeing on the reverse side is where the lettering in the term Gateway to Freedom is missing some letters or have been stamped over. The GA in Gateway is missing and the TE is crooked . The FR in Freedom serms to be missing as well. On front side the U in United does not seem to have the bottom part of the letter. The hair seems to be very thick and not as distinguished as I ha

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's all damage.

Look at the surfaces of the coin,
    on both sides, and compare it to a normal clad quarter.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. William F

William F Well-Known Member

That coin has been very roughly used, only reason some of the lettering is flat/missing is extreme wear from circulation.
    Welcome to CT! :)

8. Mike F

Mike F New Member

Thank you for the info.

9. Jason Hunnicutt

Jason Hunnicutt New Member

Okay, I am such a noob that I don't even know how to start my own thread...

That being said, I want to post some pictures of a 2001 P North Carolina State Quarter I have had since 2001. I found it discolored and odd looking so kept it with a good number of coins I have held on to. (Even though I am not a collector per say, and know nothing about this).

So my question is this: Is it possible that during press "Set Up" at the mint, the operator uses a blank to "dial in" the press for pressure, cenbtering or anything else along those lines?

After some answers, I will post my pics for your JUDGEMENT and Sarcasm...LOL
    But my quarter looks like it was used for such a thing. These are many pieces of evidence on the obverse of George's eyes in different spots, as well as some letters here and there.... and no, this is not a post mint "Stop" hammer time....
    Thank you

10. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Jason, first welcome to Coin Talk. You need to start a separate thread about your coin. To start a thread, click on the Forum tab at the top then select the best category. Enter the title of the thread, then type your message/question. Please be specific!!! If you want to post a picture, click on "Upload a file". Find the picture on your devise and double click it, then click on "full image".

Jason Hunnicutt and paddyman98 like this.
  11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Mike, welcome to Coin Talk. We really need better photographs before we can adequately evaluate your coin. From the pictures you provided, it does look like post mint damage to me.

12. paddyman98

Fred Weinberg already stated that it is all damage.

I stated that it is definitely damaged.

No need for any new pictures.

13. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

WOW! First time I have ever been admonished for requesting clearer pictures! Maybe I need to read the rules again! ;):smuggrin:

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Jason Hunnicutt

Jason Hunnicutt New Member

Thanks Sarge!

15. paddyman98

Sorry buddy :(

16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

@paddyman98 No problem!!

Draft saved Draft deleted