Is this worth anything

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Thisguy, May 6, 2015.

1. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

I just found this coin and I haven't found another coin online to compare it to.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

It's a 2006 state quarter. If it had been that worn from circulation I could see it sell as a curiosity or low ball coin, but it looks tooled so I doubt it's worth much over 25c.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like someone may have used it as a pocket piece. There's no real value to it.

Chris

5. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

What is a pocket piece?

6. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

It might look tooled from the pics but I cannot see any evidence of tooling no scratches or scuffs so unless someone knows how to grind a coin and smooth it out without leaving any scratching i don't know they could do it.

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You'd be surprised at how many people know how to do that to a coin.
    It's damaged. Spend it.

8. cpm9ball

A pocket piece is a coin that someone carries around to "rub elbows" with other coins, keys, etc. thus wearing it down as much as possible. There are actually collectors of these coins nearing PO1.

Chris

9. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

Thanks that was something I didn't know.

10. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

Last question is why would someone tool a coin?

11. rickmp

Because they can.

12. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

Ok I understand that people can do it I don't understand why they would do it. Why would you spend hours grinding something down and then polish it it doesn't make sense to me.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The greatest human motivator of all: money. This is just one of many reasons, of course, but is always wise to remember that what makes no sense to you may make perfect sense to someone else.

14. Thisguy

Thisguy New Member

How is it worth anything if people can tell it was tooled? what would someone sell it as?

15. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The idea would be to work the coin in such a manner that the grinding wouldn't be detected. Next step would be to get it certified and then sell it to one of the many "low-ball" collectors out there.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that it was ground down for money; it was probably done simply out of boredom.

16. cpm9ball

Because a person like this doesn't have the intelligence to do something constructive.

Chris

17. rickmp

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

18. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Looks like someone left it in the rock tumbler too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted