Featured Is This What Alexander the Great Looked Like? A Diadochi Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 10, 2017.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

This is my consignment to Shanna: I bought it from Nomos in 2015 but if you happen to know of an earlier pedigree, I'd be very interested :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Awesome Alexanders.

I had this one briefly, a bit more than a year ago. It ended up with @Aethelred, but might come back my way again someday, depending on the outcome of the arm-wrestling. ;)

This made two posthumous tets I've had, both on huge flans, and with stunning relief.

BigAl.png

Lot 33. Macedonian Kingdom. Alexander III 'the Great'. 336-323 B.C. AR tetradrachm (31 mm, 16.72 g, 12 h). Herakleia Pontika, ca. 205-200 B.C. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress / AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; two monograms in left field; club in exergue. Price 1284A. Toned, die break in exergue. Good very fine.

5. very good research . I have some coins support you ,
    thanks a lot very useful

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What an awesome write up and thread! (Very glad I stumbled across it) Great work @Curtisimo !!!
    Here is my, long sought after, recent Lysimachos purchase (mine must be a teenage Alexander iii, with all those pimples:happy:)..

253252.jpg

Lysimachos
    Kings of Thrace. Pella. 305-281 BC. Tetradrachm AR
    27mm., 15,95g.
    Head of the deified Alexander the Great to right,
    wearing diadem with fluttering ends and with the horn
    of Ammon around his ear / ΙΩ
    Ι, Athena, wearing robes and
    helmet, seated to left on throne, holding Nike on her
    right hand and resting her left elbow on large round
    shield adorned with a gorgoneion; to left monogram.
    very fine. Thompson 253; Müller 471. (Seller photos)

Puckles, 7Calbrey, Bing and 7 others like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks Ryro and sweet new acquisition! I'm glad you came across my old thread as well.

I was thinking about this coin portrait a few weeks ago when I visited Pompeii and Naples where the Alexander mosaic was discovered. When I finish loading my photos I'll upload my photos of the house it was found in. Here is the original mosaic as displayed in Naples. It is thought to be a copy of a painting by Philoxenus of Eretria made for the Diodochi Cassander.
    IMG_4109.JPG
    Modern interpretation of the original Greek painting - Naples

IMG_4117.JPG
    The Alexander Mosaic - ca 100 BC

IMG_5166.JPG
    Here's a lesser known depiction of Alexander shown, wild hair and all, about to marry Roxana - from Pompeii

IMG_5167.JPG
    This one I managed to photograph in profile. It's a bust of Alexander copied from a Greek original during the time of Hadrian. It was in the wonderful National Museum attached to the baths of Diocletian. That Alexander is everywhere in Italy once you start looking for him :) ...much more so than I remember from Greece actually

Puckles, Bing, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

My contribution to this thread the only lifelike portrait I own was minted mid 3rd century Macedon. 4150323 (1).jpg
    Roman Provincial. MACEDON. Koinon of Macedonia. Pseudo-autonamous 222 AD to 249 AD
    . Æ (27mm, 11.19 g, 6h). Beroea mint.
    OBV: AΛEΞANΔPOC bust of Alexander the Great right, flowing hair.
    REV: KOINMA KE ΔONΩN.B.NE Two tetrastyle temple façades; in field between, column surmounted by statue.
    Unpublished in the standard references. VF, green surfaces, ragged edge, some smoothing and roughness.

From the Belgica Collection. Ex Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 242 (13 October 2010), lot 100. And my purchase CNG E Auction 415, lot 323.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Puckles, Bing, FitzNigel and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted