Is this what a whizzed coin looks like?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NSP, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the rest of the coins he's selling they all apparently met the same fate '35 years ago'.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

The 5 on the back appears to be doubled, so I went to pcgs and looked at a photo of theirs and it also looks doubled. Were they made this way?

4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Yeah, the B-3 and B-4 die pairings have the reverse with the doubled (repunched?) 5.

5. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Coinchemistry 2012 and Kentucky like this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Oh, I'd buy it for the right price, just to show people what a whiz job looks like.

7. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Yep, whizzed. Actually, I should have said the even, all over shadow effects are because the wire bristles (or whatever they use) couldn't get into the recessed parts.
    $_57.JPG

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The quarter linked in the OP definitely appears whizzed. I also wanted to say Bedford's picture of the whizzed Lincoln is a textbook example of what whizzing looks like - great picture!

Here is a Seated Liberty Quarter which was whizzed. Notice the characteristic feel of the fields, and the "shadow" around her leg.

IMG_8166.jpg

Coinchemistry 2012 and NSP like this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I was told the prefered media is glasswool.

10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I contacted the seller in question concerning the coin in the OP.

Me: "Has this coin been cleaned? It looks like it has been polished."

Him: "No I don't think so the surface is definitely not shiny nor is it smooth that would be my definition of polished thank you for your interest Robert"

11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Well, my lawn mower blade isn't exactly smooth and shiny after I hit it with a bench grinder, either.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  12. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Yes, the coin appears to have been whizzed. Look at the appearance of "fake" luster; there has clearly been a significant movement of metal, which is what separates a cleaning from whizzing.

13. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I believed you guys, BTW. Just wanted to see what he said when confronted with a point-blank question. Puts him on the naughty list in my book.

NSP likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll grant you that is what a lot of people think in today's world, but it really isn't true. If you harshly clean a coin with an abrasive, of any kind, metal is moved. If you whizz a coin metal is moved.

The distinction that sets a a whizzed coin apart from a harshly cleaned coin is that whizzing is done with a machine and the fine lines scratched into the metal create the illusion of false luster.

Harsh cleaning on the other hand is almost always done by hand and it does not create false luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted