Is this toning even possible?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by furham, Jun 7, 2019.

1. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Toners never fail to amaze me. That’s the primary reason I don’t buy them for the most part.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Classic illustration of "we know how to gas slabbed coins, but aren't very good at it".

Oldhoopster, SorenCoins and tommyc03 like this.
  5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

It surprises me that Heritage would even have this in an auction.

6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Although, that is one reason to collect them. There's always something to surprise you.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is ugly.

John Skelton and spirityoda like this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

and of course the back side is okay
    upload_2019-6-7_14-39-24.png

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The bottom of the coin '96' looks funky and of course it is the closest internal area to the seal. IMO. Jim

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's still silver bullion, worth whatever an ounce of silver is worth. Surely someone out there will want it, even if it's just to buy it at market value of silver and crack it out to add it to their silver stack.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And there will likely be a bidder that sees the toning as a premium, as that is what youtube preaches.

13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Back in the 1990's everyone wanted shinny coins, so Morgans and other silver went from toned to clean due to expert dippers. Now over the last decade and a half toning is hot, so Morgans and other silver goes toned again. But you guys enabled that by paying big bucks for toning.

And in another few years when people want shinny coins again, I suspect the expert dippers will be at work getting rid of the toning and sending the coins back to NGC and PCGS for re-slabbing. And you guys will be paying big bucks for that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Roman Collector likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

It reminds me of the gassed slabs. Silver Eagles and fairly common world coins (many that are under $100) are the biggest targets for this since they are inexpensive. If it doesn't work out (like this example where the color appears unappealing), there won't be a big loss (and sometimes it still garners a profit).

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why? Someone will probably pay silly money for it, and Heritage will make a nice profit. Then if they change their mind or later decide it was artificially toned Heritage can just say "take it up with the TPG".

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Gassed and ugly. Someone please dip this coin

17. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I has a ASE and the reverse was immaculate and the obverse looked like the above. I don't believe it was altered/gassed.

18. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

Possible? Yes. Natural? I think not. There is a fun video floating around on Youtube that shows you how many of these ASEs are made.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can say this much, that brownish purple shade of color is not unusual at all for ASEs. Back in 2000 I bought a roll of new ASEs, put each one in an Air-Tite and then put all of them in a Tupperware container, with only them in there, and stored them away. Within about 3 months every single coin had that same brownish purple shade of toning starting on both obv and rev. Within a year every coin had significant toning of that same color, not on the entire coin but in various patterns. I sold every one for a significant premium. Each of the following 2 years, I did the exact same thing, bought a new roll, stored them the same way, same color toning appeared on every one. Sold all of those too.

So, while I definitely find the pattern of toning on the OP coin unusual, that specific color rings true. Does that mean with any degree of certainty that it's NT ? No, because anything mother nature can do, man can as well with only a little effort.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Time again to start gnawing at the question of whether deliberate toning can be anything but "artificial" toning... :rolleyes:

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When I put the the 1st coins away, I had no intent and most definitely did not expect ANY toning. I was flat out shocked when I saw it. The 2nd and 3rd years, yeah, guilty your honor :)

Of course that's just one more reason that I have said for longer than this forum has existed that the one and only difference between AT and NT is intent ;)

TheFinn and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted