Is this toning AT or NT?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MontCollector, Jul 13, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I literally think that there might not be even one single serious educated numismatist who agrees with that definition. It is literally a license to doctor coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"Paying somebody a higher price for sticking a coin in a high-sulfur paper envelope for three months strikes me as pure lunacy and the end of common sense as we've known it."

If you can't do it in one day, you don't qualify for your DOC ( Doctor of coins) :)

4. V. Kurt Bellman

One degree at a time. Start with the (oh boy!) B.S. Yes, the Al.D. degree (Doctor of Alteration) does require more alacrity. You know how all the books suggest experimenting with low value coins to understand surface alteration? Well I bought the chemicals, and just pulled others out of the darkroom, and actually DID my own experiments and proved to my own satisfaction that toning silver coins to believable colors is trivially easy. And no, Wizard doesn't sell the stuff, but others, including formerly Eastman Kodak, certainly did. A British concern still does. In addition, some old Kodak literature lists formulas for still others.

My self-education regarding bronze coins is a work still in progress. It's interesting, but subject to seemingly random color variations I don't yet understand. This much I do know - there is no such thing as a copper/bronze coin whose toning is fixed and stable. They are always changing all the time. "You can't stop him; you can only hope to contain him."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Ok then if TPGs determine what is and isn't market acceptable. Why is this acceptable? a lot of the coins this seller has sold over time regardless of type look like this. You are telling me these are acceptable? I see coins like this and run away because everything about these screams AT to me. Am I wrong on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Franklin-Silver-Half-Dollar-PCGS-MS64-Unique-Rainbow-Color-Toned/272745901382?_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=a2d344b0e3304c36ba5022154787ee47&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&

6. V. Kurt Bellman

No, not really wrong, per se. But there IS a caveat on these. They may have looked like this when submitted for grading, but then again, perhaps not. There ARE guys "gassing" coins INSIDE THE SLAB AFTER THE FACT!!! Or, these could be genuine album-toned pieces. I vote that this coin in particular was gassed after it was slabbed.

I just looked at the seller on that listing. That guy is THE BIGGEST coin gasser I've ever encountered! All his stuff is AT. Complete and utter con man. None of his stuff looked like that when PCGS saw it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. MontCollector

The other problem with letting TPGs determine what is and isn't acceptable is that they are biased imo. While I could send in the coin in the OP and have it come back details, a company who sends in 100's or 1000's of coins a month would get a straight grade because they do more business with them. I know there is supposed to be some anonymity to them. But I have heard of stuff like this happening more than once.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not really, I have probably had the belief longer than a lot that I was less concerned about how it got that way and more about whether or not I like the final product. I consider doctoring for color to require chemicals or some sort of additive to the surface to create it. If you can just leave something somewhere like on a desk and it happens that is mother nature doing it in my book.

I've seen them take on wild colors quick. I lost one behind a desk years ago, should have held onto apparently but is what it is. The market will determine the value. If people like it and it makes them happy that's what matters. If it is as easy and people try and claim the value will fall for sure and the market will sort it.

10. baseball21

This is far more dangerous to the hobby and one of the biggest myths. This is what people who can't grade or want to up-sell you say. It doesn't work like that and there are plenty of us that have gotten top grades before or not been penalized for not sending millions a year.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  11. MontCollector

I have had a lot of people tell me this and none of them were trying to sell me anything. Maybe they were just disgruntled people who sent them in and didn't get the grade they were expecting....who knows. Kinda makes me want to test this...but not sure how.

How about this one, sometimes when people post coins to be graded on these sites some people reply saying for example "MS63 but on a good day maybe MS64". Whats a good day?

The other one I've seen is "MS63 but maybe if its a Friday and the grader is in a hurry it might go MS64". o_O

One more thing. I don't understand how a coin can be sent in for grading and get a MS63 one day and then be sent in again to same company for re-examination and it comes back MS64. Why would a coin grade MS63 one day and a month later grade higher?

12. baseball21

Not trying to be mean but have to be, a lot of people think they are much better graders than they are.

I am sure I'll get hammered for this but see the first reply than consider it's based off pictures. There are so many variables there, the grade is right much more than the thread.

Because the thing a lot of people don't say is grading is not a hard science. It is not 2+2 = 4 and a lot of people that just completely trash it have little to no experience with them or outdated.

As to how that could happen, if I sent you a 1000 coins had you grade them then sent another 5 thousand and had you grade those, then I sent you the same back again....Your grades would be way off and anyone who says they aren't is ego or lying. The changes are generally normal ones that anyone would have where value is about the same.

MontCollector likes this.
  13. MontCollector

1st Off thanks @baseball21 and @V Kurt Bellman for not ripping me a new one for sounding like a "rookie".

As you can tell I have never sent a coin in for grading although I do own a few graded coins. This is mainly because from what I have read over time kinda made me think it would be a crap shoot as to what may come back. Having said that there are A LOT of people willing to rag on the TPGs and VERY FEW willing to stand up for them.

I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and send some in myself.

BTW will PCGS label attributions done by Wexler? I know ANACS will if I send in the letter that Mr. Wexler sent back with my coin.

baseball21 likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

We've all sounded like, and BEEN, rookies ourselves at one point. There's only one shame - NOT keeping your eyes and ears open. Is there variation in grading? Sure. Is it a conspiracy? No. It's an opinion.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

I've never put much faith in the so-called "seals" on PCGS or NGC slabs. "Sonically sealed" does NOT mean "liquid tight" or "air tight". If you believe it does, THIS may and will happen to you.
    IMG_6664.JPG

Sonically sealed means the seal was created by high frequency SOUND and nothing more. (No hedgehogs are harmed in sealing those slabs.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, this is right. I get scads of grades higher than my fondest desire when I submitted the coins. I even get frequent "70's" on the moderns I submit (coins without a hole in the Dansco).

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and the answer is?

Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

SuperDave, posted: I'm having a ball parsing your posts as if you were talking to yourself, because that's what it looks like to me. :)"

:rolleyes: Perhaps if this poster unblocked one of the posters in this thread who has a habit of refuting his posts, he might learn something outside his field of expertize! o_O

baseball21, posted: "As to how that could happen, if I sent you a 1000 coins had you grade them then sent another 5 thousand and had you grade those, then I sent you the same back again....Your grades would be way off and anyone who says they aren't is ego or lying."

Very true, in fact it even works with just 100 coins (non Dollars). On numerous occasions I've looked at a coin I graded several days before and asked myself "what idiot assigned this grade?" :eggface::facepalm:

baseball21 likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

A world in which SuperDave and Insider aren't communicating? Kinda makes a guy take stock of whether ANYTHING makes sense any more, doesn't it? I, I, I'm just not sure what to believe in at all any more. Maybe I'll just throw any and all reason and common sense to the wind and, and, and START COLLECTING TONERS!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy ! A lot of territory has been covered since I asked that simple question - what do you guys think of this one ?

58 Franklin.jpg

Well, there's one thing to say about that and somebody already said it.

You nailed it there Skyman. That is indeed a Frankie still in its original Mint Set cardboard. And yeah I owned it and yeah I took the picture. And no I did not manipulate or alter the picture in any way.

What I did do was to tilt the lights just right to capture that color. Pictures taken with the lights at slightly different angles yielded different results - just like all pictures do. If ya looked at that coin in hand, under a light, and tilted it just so - you'd see exactly what you see in that picture. If you tilted it another way the color was no where near that vibrant - but it was still there.

So yeah, that coin is, was, 100% completely natural toning. I bought that set over 20 years ago and I first posted that same picture right here on this forum not long after the forum was created, and several times since then. And while the red color is unusual, as you can see from Skyman's pic it's certainly not unheard of, especially in original '58 Mint Sets. The '58 Mint Sets are very well known for having produced some the most spectacular natural toning that any of us have ever seen.

And given the subject of this thread I thought that pic would fit right in. And I also thought it would produce results, responding posts, exactly like it did.

Funny how that works aint it :)

Skyman likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

[Not a religious post, but...] Can I get an "Amen" on that'n, my brothers and sisters? (This is why I am a dissenter on the perceived value of pictures in numismatics. When combined with intent, they CAN deceive as much as inform.)

I have a complete '58 set, ex Newman, now in NGC plastic, bought from Stacks Bowers. It never got a tinge of red to it. Lots of color, just no red. Nice coin.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted