Is this the Smallest Gold Coin In The World at less than 2 mm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Is this the Smallest Gold Coin In The World at less than 2 mm?
    This is 1/4 of a (Gold) Fanam at (less than) 2 mm, and 0.04 gm.
    It comes from India and is dated to the 11th to 13th centuries.
    To give an idea of size, here it is next to a (38.5 mm) 1883 U.S. Silver Dollar.

IMG_1064.JPG

If you have a smaller one, can we see it, please?

stevex6, dlhill132, Okidoki and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

wow! id probably mistake that for a gold nugget! Whats the cost of these?

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I think it's a drilled-out tooth filling. Always ask for your old fillings back, they're worth at least $20. You just never find these in dentists' dumpsters... :D

stevex6 and Daniel Jones like this.
  5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Not as funny as you think, Doug.
    Last week I had a tooth out and, (you guessed it), it was the only one with the gold crown, and YES I did ask for it back. (I shall however spare you from posting it here). It is, however, significantly bigger than this coin.

@ vdbpenny - that depends on how deep your pockets are, and if you can find one. A (whole) fanam is more common than a 1/4 fanam. Whole fanams (later coins - 19th century) can be had for as little as $19 (+p&h).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

True, but a crown is not a filling. Maybe a crown's worth $100 at scrap, I don't know. It's like depreciation on a new car, a crown drops from $700 to $100 the instant they cement it into place. I've had 4 teeth pulled in the past 5 years; my teeth don't have enamel, they're coated with high fructose corn syrup...

Ancientnoob and Daniel Jones like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a large grain of fused sand. Man is that coin small!

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Somewhere Ancient Joe posted a bunch of tiny gold pieces...wish I could find it. Amazing how small these are.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree the fractions are almost always much rarer than the standard denominations. I have some 1/8th and 1/16th baht pieces from Siam that are probably 100 times rarer than the one baht pieces.

Btw, the ancient greeks made smaller pieces for size, but not weight. They look like little tiny pebbles. For weight I have never seen a smaller gold coin that yours.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The term fanam does not occur until the 18th-century. The names of the denominations in Vijayanagar were Gadyana, Varaha, Pagoda, Pratapa, Haga, and Bele. The Bele was the smallest, coming in at 0.75 grains. Here's mine...

bele2.JPG

It's hard to imagine these things as coins, yet they were standardized bits of metal struck with a design (as crude as it is), and they were used as legal tender in commerce, so we have no choice but to call them coins.

11. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Those specks of metal sure look funny. I don't think I could ever desire one, sorry.

12. John Anthony

Desire is the wrong word. I got mine for $15 as a curiosity - it is the world's smallest gold coin - it was there and it was cheap, and I collect coins, so why not? But no, I never went looking for one.

chrsmat71, Topcat7, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

From the Lilliputian Mint, this is one of the larger ones, about 5 mm in the long dimension (400 mg).

[​IMG]

OK, it's not issued by any coining authority, but it's small, gold, and pretty cool.

chrsmat71, Kirkuleez, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  14. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

How, just how did they fit such an elaborate design on it? :smuggrin:

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Ron Landis is an incredible engraver. That's how.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They had better engravers than the US Mint does today. :D

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There are some very rare examples of electrum coinage from Lydia in Asia Minor that are smaller - ie 1/96th of a stater.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

AJ's smallest electrum is a 1/192 stater, 0.07 gm.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

AJ, your writeup on that tiny electrum piece gives the weight, but not the diameter. How about including its diameter?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

You are correct, J.A. but the denomination terms are relatively unknown by most so the more 'generic' (and later) term Fanam seems to be used. A bit like King Charles III Cartwheel Penny of 1797 wasn't called 'Cartwheel' until the term was 'coined' (pardon the pun) a long time later.

John Anthony likes this.
  21. John Anthony

Here's a much later fanam, still pretty damn small, but a giant next to the bele...

Mysore, Tipu Sultan, AD 1782-1799
    AV Fanam, 7.74mm, 0.37g, Patan mint: 1789.
    Obv.: HA (Initials of Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan's father) within inner linear and outer dotted borders.
    Rev.: 1218 (= AD 1789) / Zarb Patan (Patan mint), within inner linear and outer dotted borders.
    Reference: KM 128.1
    Notes: Tipu Sultan introduced his own Mauludi date system, replacing the Hijiri calendar.

fanam small.jpg

001.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted