Is this the result of PVC damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, May 22, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

This is a clad SBA and not even 20 years old. Are these green pitting marks/spots the result of PVC damage? I think so, but I would love people with knowledge of PVC damage to chime in. There are spots on both the obverse and reverse. Thank you for any help you can offer.

hi.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG IMG_8462.JPG

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Does the NGC label have a Details grade?

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd think it could be PVC, or acid from any other source spattered on the coin.

JCro57 likes this.
  6. JCro57

No. But I have seen some with known PVC and didn't get a details grade. I just didn't know if that actually is what it would look like on a smaller scale

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree. Something appears to have started to corrode the coin and the blue-green spot looks like it could by residue from the PVC platicizer. If it's due to PVC, then it will continue to get worse.

JCro57 likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

98% sure. The initial transfer could have so small at grading that it was not noticed. If it has only become apparent after slabbing. I would assume some moisture is getting to the original loci it will continue to develop. If it is kept in a sealed container with desiccators most of time, it will limit the enlargement of such.

JCro57 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What?

Definition please :bored:

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Appears to be a small area of PVC damage.

JCro57 likes this.
  11. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I would contact NGC and ask if they can conserve it. Hopefully its free since it seems to have developed once slabbed

JCro57 likes this.
  12. desertgem

noun, plural loci
    [loh-sahy, -kee, -kahy] (Show IPA), loca
    1.a place; locality.

desiccator

[des-i-key-ter]

an apparatus for drying fruit, milk, etc.
    Chemistry.
    1. an apparatus for absorbing the moisture present in a chemical substance.
    2. an airtight, usually glass container containing calcium chloride or some other drying agent for absorbing the moisture of another substance placed in the container.
    Sorry, everyday words for me, Jim

JCro57 likes this.
  13. JCro57

I am returning it to a dealer in Indiana who is going ballistic, saying I am "ruining the industry" and getting his "group of 800 dealers (some internet group he called Roundtable) to block me from further purchases." It also had a fingerprint. The guy is not a good business person for such a reasonable concern here. I shouldn't be stuck with a damaged coin.

JPeace$ likes this.
  14. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@JCro57 Dealer is ridiculous. Returns happen, he wants to alienate you?.....thats further business lost and from others who hear about this!

JCro57 likes this.
  15. -jeffB

Or, as is more common, accepted, and clear in this context:

"Spots". ;)

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

wow. the effort he's claiming he's going to put into his Roundtable is more than the coin is worth.

I'd return it anyways.

JCro57 likes this.
  17. desertgem

Well yes, except I was trying more to localize the origin of said "spots" as in they were possibly not visible as spots at that time. But I guess it doesn't matter since the dealer has gone nuclear. Certainly if the owner recently purchased it and the dealer had not described it properly, it should be accepted returned. Your loyal moderators have been mentioned several times on other coin forums also. Some good , most not :)

JCro57 likes this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@JCro57 , maybe you can post the Indiana dealer who's gathering his might to ban you from the coin world. I certainly don't ever want to do business with someone who gets this worked up about a return.

JCro57 likes this.
  19. JCro57

His name is Sam Shafer from Indianapolis. I sent him the photos of the PVC pictured above and he won't even address it. I looked up his "Roundtable" and it came up on Facebook, with about 6 likes. Another blowhard who overstates his influence and importance in the industry. I have talked to several dealers and no one has heard of him nor his "Roundtable."

Please keep in mind, he made these threats and blew up at me simply because we disagree about whether or not it was a fingerprint.

Screenshot_2018-05-22-20-36-39.png

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  20. -jeffB

Perhaps he's talking about his round seat. Or its lid.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

That must be one huge round table to have 800 people around it. It would have to be about an acre in space (I didn't do the calculation). A tremendous waste of wood. Maybe sick the environmentalists on him. All tongue in cheek of course.
    edited:

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
    JCro57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted