Is this thaler real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Sep 25, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I won an auction on EBay for a 1761 Bavarian Thaler. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-State-Bayern-1761-Thaler-/311961028177?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=KoD0da6BF0S9czWWrnZPhRbdYVQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The coin is listed in Numista as having a weight of 28.06 gm and a diameter of 41.5mm. Numismaster lists it at diameter of 40-41mm and gives no weight.

The coin arrived today and has a weight of 27.47 gm and diameter of 40.9mm. The discrepancies in diameter with Numista is significant but it is within the limits of Numismaster.

The weight is about 2% low but this is the first 18th century thaler I have bought so I do not know if that amount of wear is reasonable for a 250 year old coin.

Anyway, all this makes me wonder if it is real or a fake. The seller has excellent feedback. Anyone with experience with these have any idea? I did not post pictures of my own because those on the auction are more than adequate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Photo not good enough to have an opinion; however, the adjustment marks on the reverse are a good sign that it is genuine.

sakata likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Just going off general appearance, I vote genuine.

sakata likes this.
  5. amorris

amorris Member

The coin isn't of a very high caliber, so I couldn't imagine someone faking it.
    Check for:
    •Rim filing
    •varieties

The time period of the coin is extremely prone to variety what with the different fiefdoms and what not.

Perhaps it is also a time period fake.

Better pictures, better prognosis.

sakata likes this.
  6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks like it may have been cleaned, but otherwise appears genuine. Great pickup for a first 18th century thaler at that price :)

sakata likes this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks to all who replied. I am going to assume it is okay. I had no reason to doubt the seller as he has lots of good feedback. I was just the weight which concerned me but none of you seems to think that was a problem.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks good, but the grade is below most collector's desired state of preservation, hence the lower price.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

If I look that good when I am 250 years old I will be happy.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I hope I don't live that long - it ain't the looking good, it's the feeling good. Like Betty Davis said, "Getting old isn't for sissies."

Draft saved Draft deleted