Is this star note worth saving?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ldhair, May 15, 2016.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

$20 2013 MG 00173897 * It's nice and crisp.
    Will something like this gain value in the future?
    I'm guessing it's a common note.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Your note is from a short run of 640,000. This is a good thing.

I would keep it if it was uncirculated. No folds, sharp corners, good centering, no ink marks or pinholes, etc. If it is an AU or XF note I would spend it.

Some here will say to keep it, some will say spend it. I doubt it will go up in value if it is a circulated note. Just my opinion.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's unc but the top margin is half the size of the bottom one. Am I correct in thinking that is a negative thing? I save too much stuff. Thanks for your post.

5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

If you don't find it worthy of keeping, they make great gifts to young ones. Put it in a Capital Holder with a brief description/history.

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Send it my way. I look at every bill that's crosses my path & I still have yet to see a star note.

7. SteveInTampa

Wait, what.....are you serious ? You've never found a star note ?
    Do you handle much cash ?

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

No Steve not really. I build planes everything I carry in has to go back out with me less I carry the easier it is. Besides It's a plastic & electronic world we live in. I like the coins, if wasn't for my passion for coins I'd rarely have money in that form

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thanks anyway. I can see this was the wrong place to ask for information.

10. SteveInTampa

What did we say that would make you say that ?

Edited to add; We usually have better answers when posters have images.

*wolf7* and paddyman98 like this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Sorry my friend. Your in the right place. Just the wrong person. I'd love to find a star note just to say I had one, I just dont know anymore about them than the normal coin person

12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Steve's answer was spot on. Was there something else you wanted to know?

13. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

If it's uncirculated I would still keep it despite the poor centering. The combination of 640k run and uncirculated condition would be enough for me to overlook off-centering.

ldhair likes this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I got my 1st star note tonight & remembered this post. Went in a dollar general for some cheap batteries asked the guy at the register. Got lucky it's a 2006 $1 bill circulated but not to bad. Now I can finally say I have one.

SteveInTampa and Hommer like this.
  15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Now your hooked. Before long you will be staring at every bill you get to see if all the numbers match and are in the right place.

Smojo likes this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've been looking at every bill for probably 2 years finally started asking people when I go in a store for a couple of months. Amazing the amount of people that handle money on a daily basis that don't know what a star note is. As I told Steve I don't handle that much cash. I'll get money back when I make purchases but usually a couple of rolls to search through. Yes now I believe I'll search harder for better shape new & old bill denominations.

17. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

My personal rule of thumb is I keep every star note that crosses into my hands from banks, change, etc. (in other words, notes that I get at face value). Besides with the pending change of the $20 note on the horizon, this will be more in demand down the road.

18. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

IF you like the note, keep it. What have you got to loose? Have fun.

19. *wolf7*

*wolf7* Member

He won't loose anything if he just tightens up !

20. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

I never found one either until just last year. You don't realize how rare it is to find a star note, and especially on a $1 bill. You can't even find 2006 year dollar bills anymore either.

21. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

And so what? That doesn't mean you have to follow it like sheep. I do not use credit cards, or debit cards. I use real actual money, and my cell phone is 17 years old. And am I in debt? No. Do I have to stress about hundreds-of-dollars credit card or cell phone bills? No. The old way works better.

Draft saved Draft deleted