Is this Spade Money?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure if I got the correct forum but what is this? What's the value? I picked it up a a rock and gem show last year and forgot about it until today.

IMG_3021.JPG IMG_3022.JPG

Thanks for the help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

yes - authentic? I don't know.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I may be all wet saying this. I seem to recall that @TypeCoin971793 may be the guy to ask about these. If I am wrong, my apologies....

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

A spade indeed, A Wang Mang value 800 spade to be precise, but sadly a recent imitation.

7. Collecting Nut

What are the clues?

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Beat me to it.

The style is completely wrong. Here is my value-1000 spade for comparison.

67A9CD65-11EA-4560-B6BE-A21A3E0E303E.jpeg

These were cast to a very high standard of quality. The rims and character strokes should be sharp and angular. All corners should be sharp. Your spade displays none of these characteristics

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Here’s a different Wang Mang spade showing just how high of a quality standard was employed. The above example has a mint error and is a bit distorted.

EBD2E1D9-12A8-448D-A9A5-90B061E07D7E.jpeg

10. Collecting Nut

Thanks, that really helps and the $5.00 I paid for it was worth the education.

Like I said I was at a rock and gem show (another hobby). The dealer had a small box of about 10-12. This one was slightly cleaner than the others and they were in 3 or 4 different sizes. He didn't know anything about them. He only had mineral samples and this box. At least I had a good idea of what it was.

He was asking $8 each but when I thank him and started to walk away he asked what was I willing to pay. I said I don't know anything about them but I found them interesting and asked if he'd take $5 for one of them. He said yes. :)

AnYangMan and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Thanks to all who replied.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted