Is this site accurate for silver content in coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by crispy1995, Dec 29, 2010.

1. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

Haven't visited CT in months now. Anywho, I was chatting with someone about silver prices and remembered my little binder full of assorted silver coins (coins fell to the wayside for a bit), and I wanted to know the value of all the silver in them. I came across this site, and was wondering if you'd consider it accurate: Coinflation.

It takes the silver content of US coins and calculates values based on the market for silver.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's the go-to site for a lot of people here.

A few points to remember:

• You'll generally get less than spot when you're selling, and you may have to pay more if you're buying.
    • Lower-silver coins (40% halves, war nickels) are often discounted from spot compared to 90% coins, because the cost of refining them is higher.
    • American Silver Eagles (.999 fine bullion coins) often sell for well over spot, for reasons that escape me.

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

"American Silver Eagles (.999 fine bullion coins) often sell for well over spot, for reasons that escape me"

Because they are pretty.

:)

5. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

It is the site that I use to determine silver content value knowing that I will get slightly less from a dealer and sometimes more when selling on ebay.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe that site give you the theoretical value based on spot. You would not get that much from a dealer because one they need to make a profit, and two if they are sell to a smelter the smelter needs to make a profit as well.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I still like Walkers better. :) Cool bird on the back.

Or, for that matter, St. Gaudens double eagles, as long as someone else is paying...

Draft saved Draft deleted