Is this seriously a 1970s large date?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kevin Farley, Jul 11, 2020.

?

DDO or not?

1. Yea

100.0%
  2. Nah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Want a second opinion. Saw a video on YouTube saying that dark mark on my coin was a good sign it's a DDO. Also looks like on to me. Thoughts?

View attachment 1144056 IMG_20200711_081519.jpg Screenshot_20200711-072059.png Screenshot_20200711-084704.png

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Kevin!

What dark mark are you referring to? You'll find a lot of useless information on BoobTube. They're not very reliable over there.

It looks like a large date to me. ~ Chris

Sidney Osborne likes this.
  4. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

One of the you tube "diagnostics" is to look at the tightness of the upper portion of the 9...if the end points to the east, it is a small date;
    If it points more so to the southeast, it is a large date. Supposedly the
    Position of the 7 is important as well as the " strength" of the lettering
    In LIBERTY....agree with Chris...you tubers are somewhat overly dramatic...want to increase their viewer and subscription numbers..

5. Kevin Farley

Sorry as you know I'm new and I messed the question up in the title. What I meant to ask was if this is a DDO? It's definitely a large date. and the YouTubers only saod That there were dark spots on the coin. I noticed mine had the same two in the same spot as the coin in the video. I can't imagine my coin could have the same two dark spots and it not being caused by the dye

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. Kevin Farley

Basically all I'm asking is is if anyone else thinks it's a DDO

7. Kevin Farley

Also here's the reverse IMG_20200711_060113.jpg IMG_20200711_060014.jpg IMG_20200711_060113.jpg IMG_20200711_060014.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

My vote is yes. Check Variety Vista to determine which variation you have.
    Nice find.
    Welcome to CT.
    NOTE: Disregard this comment. I confused the web pic with your coin, sorry.
    The pics you downloaded do not show any doubling, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  9. Kevin Farley

Ggeeeeeezzzzzz! Bought this in a coin book a year ago on eBay

10. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

The way I always tell is by looking at the 7. If it is shorter than the rest of the numbers, it is a large date. If it is the same size as the rest, is is a small date.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Stop watching uTube as there is too much misinformation there. You won't get rich off of this coin. And yes, it looks like a large date.

12. Kevin Farley

The only thing I was watching on YouTube with someone showing a actual DDO 1970s that sold on heritage auctions. I wasn't listening to them I was getting a break down the coin that looks like mine. And if you say I won't get rich off and then please let me know what variety DDO is, because the only ones I know about our worth pretty good money

13. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Yours does not look like the one in the picture for youtube.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm not seeing anything that resembles DDO-001.

Here is a link to the 1970S listing on Wexler doubled die site. There are a few other DDOs for that date listed.
    https://www.doubleddie.com/452412.html

For DDO-001
    8361fd04e7bdd6bdffff81f6ffffe417.jpg

8361fd04e7bdd6bdffff81fbffffe417.jpg

For doubled dies, I would recommend bookmarking
    Www.doubleddie.com and
    Www.varietyvista.com

There is too much junk on YouTube and it can be difficult to find the good ones. Case in point, your youtuber said darker spots are a diagnostic. Spots are due to environmental toning and can occur randomly on any coin. Stick with the sites listed above

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @Kevin Farley. Dark spot? In the first photo of the coin showing the "spot" it just looks like a stain, in the second one, it looks like verdigris in the same general area. As mentioned, YouTube is not a reliable source for information in most cases. The posters are looking for clicks and not really interested in giving correct information.

16. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

On the large date, the top of the 7 is lower than the top of the 9 which is the case here. On the small date the tops of the two numbers are even.

Draft saved Draft deleted