Is this rude?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 13, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Hey guys. Since i first started collecting i have been to about 6 coin shows. I have never really thought about it being rude until now, but i have gotten into the habit of trying to brong the price down on every single coin i buy. Whenever im buying a coin from a dealer that is labled for more than ten dollars, i always ask if he can lower the price. For example if i saw a common date franklin half in ms64 condition marked for 30, i would ask if the dealer could do 28. A lot of times i also use the excuse that im buying multiple coins to bargain. For example i once bought approximatley 20 choice bu wheat cents from the same dealer. The grand total based on the labled prices would have been about 56 dollars but i said "sine im buying all of these as a lot could you do 48?" the dealer looked through the doins and fortunatley said yes but looking back on all the times ive done this im beggining to wonder if everyone does this or if im being greedy and rude. Do any of you guys do this as well? Or do you only try to bargain if you think the dealer is overpriced?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

No, trying to get the best deal is mandatory I think. Dealers do it when they buy coins, so they can't consider it rude when collectors are buying from them either to make deals.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Nah,

It never hurts to ask... the worst they can do is say no.

5. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

And I'm sure they hear the words "no" all the time when buying themselves. ;)

6. LostDutchman

I know I always just ask a dealer what the best price is...

7. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Alright thanks guys. It makes sense. And your right rodeo, the worst they can do is say no. Nobody gets hurt. Its better just to ask then to never know if you could have saved money.

8. joewhite73

joewhite73 Member

Here is what I personally do: Look at coins, decide which ones I would buy at the price marked, than I ask the dealer what the best deal they can make me. I then pay it. If I think that a coin is marked too high, I don't consider buying it in the first place. I have bought around $2000 in coins from dealers (non-internet) in the last 6 months and have always been given at least 10% sometimes as much as 15% off the total. Sometimes without even asking. This is another reason I like person to person transactions. This is just one man's opinion.

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

No it's not rude to ask. It's only rude if you point of problems or stating the obvious. If the dealer doesn't want to negotiate just thank him for his time.

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

you might have even done a little better by asking what is the best they can do rather than setting the new price yourself.

Richard

11. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Yup. Because by not setting the price, if they know you're definitely interested in buying it, they might even go lower than what you were going to ask. By setting the price, you just set the bar for middle ground dealing.

12. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

It never hurts to ask the dealer because the dealer might be able to work with you as long as the price that you are asking for is reasonable. With that said, I have not personally asked about any deals because the type of silver (silver art bars) that I buy I usually can get it for .999 generic silver premiums when I buy it at the LCS and at coin shows.

13. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I'm all for asking a Dealer " Whats the best you can do " .

14. LostDutchman

Example time. I was looking at a big bag of world silver at a little local show this past weekend. He was asking $3,000 for it... I was thinking more like $2,750 but when I asked him what the best he could do was... he said $2,500.

15. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

There are absolutely WAYS to be rude, or go about the negotiation in a rude manner. Same general rules as a forum or, for that matter, kindergarten.

You see a $100 coin.

Offering $50 isn't rude. Calling the dealer names for not taking it is.
    Explaining why you don't want to pay more than $70 isn't rude. Telling the dealer he doesn't know what he's talking about is.
    Saying you'll pass on the coin at $80 isn't rude. Saying "I can get that coin for $65 all day at _____" is.

Once you decide what a coin is worth to you, there's not a thing wrong with trying to buy it for that price.

The fact is, the coin is worth what someone will pay for it. Set your price, make an offer. Maybe you're the someone, maybe you're not.

Just treat people the way you'd like to be treated...be respectful, be courteous, be knowledgeable, be responsible. You'll get your share of good buys, your share of bad ones, and nobody will think you're rude. :)

16. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

i try and get a lower price even if the price says $4 ill say could you do $3.25. also are you starting to collect again

17. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

I ask alot at the coin store that i go to and he will sometimes throw me a deal, sometimes not......i know they don't view it as rude though so you might as well ask em!

18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I think most dealers at shows expect buyers to ask for deals. And its not rude if you ask the right way, I also find the more coins you pick out the more easier it is to haggle the price.

19. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

I always say that the answer is always "NO" if you don't ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted