Is this Rhodes real?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Neal, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I just got a Rhodes bronze from a dealer I believe to be honest, but I have some doubts about this one. For one thing, the patina seems painted on. The coin underneath seems to have some scratches as if wire brushed. A painted patina could just be to hide blemishes of corrosion pits and wire brush marks, but I'm wondering... The patina hides much of the edge. I am posting a lot of edge pictures, but you can see different features on each one. The coin is 13 mm. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this! Rhodes obverse 1.JPG Rhodes reverse.JPG edge 1.jpg edge 2.JPG edge 3.jpg edge 4.jpg edge 5.JPG edge 6.JPG edge 7.jpg edge 8.jpg

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Here are some more edge pictures: edge 9.jpg edge 10.jpg edge 11.JPG edge 12.JPG

dlhill132, ominus1 and Bing like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I suspect it's authentic-- just worn, pitted, and harshly cleaned and with some type of applied patina.

Compare to https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=100751

[​IMG]
    159, Lot: 95. Estimate $75.
    Sold for $70. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

ISLANDS off CARIA, Rhodos. Rhodes. Circa 188-84 BC. Æ 13mm (1.53 g). Radiate head of Helios right / Rose, bud to left, within incuse square. SNG Copenhagen 860-3. VF, hard green patina.

dlhill132, ominus1, Neal and 6 others like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Probably looked similar like my coin , before it was cleaned.
    removing the light green stuff, results in pitting afterwards.
    applying patina from a bottle makes the coin more or less presentable again.
    pity the reverse is struck off centre, its quite a hairy coin too :)

Rhodos.jpg

ominus1, Neal, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  6. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Looks like a real coin to me.

ominus1 and Neal like this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I love this type!! Cool thing for me, this type also fits my (State of)Rhode Island collection. Narragansett Bay was compared to the Island of Rhodes in the Agean Sea by an Italian Explorer Giovanni da Verrazano in 1524, over a hundred years before Roger Williams would go on to found the Colony. This is the excuse I'll give my Wife when I buy a nice example. It just doesn't make sense NOT to get one.:woot:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, except for budget constraints.

Nathan401 likes this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm with TIF on this one..so it get's the ominus seal of authenticity:smuggrin:

Neal likes this.
  10. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thanks! The more I've learned about ancients the more ignorant I have learned that I am, so I have come to doubt more. I appreciate your seal!

11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that at one time it was the custom to apply some kind of lacquer to coins as a preservative.

ominus1, Neal and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted