Is this real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Russell Lutz, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Russell Lutz

Russell Lutz New Member

I purchased a Kruggerand on Ebay about 4 years ago. I put it back on Ebay yesterday and someone told me that it was fake. Can anyone verify this? NGC website states ""may be counterfeit" .

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

4. mikkomakk

mikkomakk Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

A search of your holder ID does state “possible counterfeit holder”. I fear that may not bode well for the coin it holds. I am sorry.

NGC does offer folks to contact them about possible counterfeit holders at service@ngccoin.com.

6. Jsaw

Jsaw New Member

Definitely does not look genuine. Have you weighed the coin with the slab? 33.93 is the weight of the coin. The slab weighs approximately 38.80-38.90 grams. So it should weigh about 72.83 grams total.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's a fake coin.

Compare to images of real examples and you'll see the differences in design.

The holder is also fake (text font being incorrect is one indicator).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If somebody is using the cert# for counterfeits, they'll flag the real one too. If yours were the real one, you can reach out to them to have it reholdered.

If you bought the counterfeit, your only recourse is with the seller.

John Burgess likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The lettering and numbers on your slab look so different. I noticed right away.

JeffC and I_like_Morgans like this.
  10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'd say yours is a fake and there's plenty of info already pOster as to why it's a fake so I won't go further than that. Check what everyone has told you to check and make the determination, maybe get it tested out of slab at a local coin shop for its composition if you want one more confirmation.

They will test it and if fake will be able to tell you. When it's a hot potato unfortunately someone gets stuck with it. I don't know what else to say here. Either eat the loss of be the bad guy and find a sucker to pawn it off on so it's not you getting stuck with it. Like selling bad cars don't do business with friends is all I can tell you as a rule of thumb. Ideally not someone you will see again so it can be over if you have to do it and pass it on.

Bad situation my dude, I'm sorry.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Russell Lutz likes this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Looking at it again it's definitely fake. NGC slabs have a reeded edge this doesn't have one. Is it in sealed and almost looks like those Chinese slap that just click together

12. Luster_Bump

Luster_Bump New Member

Just echoing the sentiments of other posters, but as soon as I opened the photo my gut told me everything was off from the slab to the coin. Take it to a shop with an x-ray spectrometer and gun it - you'll have a definitive answer immediately. I'm guessing it's 99% copper with a gold plating. How much did you pay? I dont have a reference at the moment but Krugs in 70 usually command a premium as they arent very common.

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm stunned to be reading something like this here. I'm sorry but I can't sit idly by and in my silence become an endorsement for this behavior. This recommendation is offensive and quite frankly illegal. The current owner knows he has, at a bare minimum, at least a questionable counterfeit gold Krugerand. Passing it on to another unsuspecting recipient is not morally what I'd be doing.

I know who I won't be doing any commerce with.

Razz, Nyatii, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm not a coin dealer and I wouldn't do this myself personally, but I am a realist and reality is everyone has a different situation and some people can't eat a couple grand loss easily and are in situations where they have to do something

So... thanks for being morally superior and congrats for being able to eat a couple thousand dollar mistake in judgement. Not everyone has that luxury.

15. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Then they should know what they are buying going into the transaction if they can’t afford such a loss. Continuing a cycle of scumbaggery is not the right answer.

16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Morally superior? That's laughable. Unfortunately your behavior exhibits disgusting morality.

You screw up by not doing your due diligence and because finances come into play you find it reasonable to scam someone else? Deplorable.

FYI, someone buying 1oz Krugerands appears to have more financial stability than you're eluding to. Potential losses come with the territory. 100% loss is unfortunate, but that's the risk if you don't do your homework.

17. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi @Jsaw. I've been wondering what NGC and PCGS slabs weigh but can't seem to find a direct source from the TPGs, except from forum discussions. I also assume that the slab weights would vary depending on the cut-out sizes for the coins. May I ask if your info on weights was based on some sort of tabulation directly from one of the TPG sources? If so, can you help me with the link? Thanks for your help.

18. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Morally superior? It's either moral or not, yes? Sad excuse for committing a possible crime to another by passing it along. "...Being a realist and reality is everyone has a different situation and some people can't eat a couple grand loss easily and are in situations where they have to do something..." Thus condone the crime? IF the buyer could "afford" the "couple grand" purchase (unlike many here) then the loss is a fact of life. Sad :-(

masterswimmer likes this.
  19. Burton Strauss III

It's not a luxury, it's a fact. OP owns a fake and his/her only recourse is the seller on eBay. It's been four years and so nobody is going to force the seller to make good.

They might - both buyer and seller have ghosts of the transaction in their eBay history that include the cert#. The original seller might still have their photos. Until you follow that string you'll never know.

The suggestions of having a coin shop test it is a good one - they should be able to do so non-destructively if they have a Sigma device (call and ask before going to visit).

Lastly, as for selling it KNOWING or BELIEVING it to be counterfeit, https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/485

Heavymetal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted